www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Baitcasters

Default Musky Baitcasters

Can you buy a decent baitcaster for less than $100? If so, does anyone have any recomendations? I have a renewed interest in Musky fishing after losing a 40"+ while jigging for walleyes on the TFF.

Thanks,

Brian

There really isn't anything under $100, unless you're getting it off craigslist or ebay or something like that. If you're buying one at a store, Shimano Cardiffs are pretty nice for the money. I've been using one the last two years and I have no complaints. The 400s are $120. They also offer left hand models. I would look on craigslist to see if anyone is selling any in your area. That's probably you're best bet of picking one up under $100.

Actually, there are a couple under $100. One is the Musky Angler reel from Bass Pro (formerly the Pete Maina Signature Series) for $99.99. It's not the best reel in the world, but I'm sure it would be a good starter reel. Lots of people use Abu Garcias C3s and C4s. However, the Cardiff is a much nicer reel, with much better components, and it is big enough to handle most musky lures, and it is only $20 over your budget. I've used all of these and I recommend the Cardiff.

This is a great reel for an even greater price:
    http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4051

Default Abu

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur- got my first used 5000C for $15 when I was 17, which was 27 years ago. Bought a double handle and high-speed gear converter. It's still a great #2 reel. I also have a 6500 C4 which is my favorite, as well as a 6600 C5 mag, which can idiot-proof casting for newbies you may fish with. The newest one is over 10 years old. Nowdays, you need to find someone that still has old school springs, etc if there are problems. An article in the June/July Musky Hunter magazine called "Reel Maxims" describes something very similar to a situation I've encountered. All of these reels were under $100.00.

C4s are pretty good. I still have a 5600 that works pretty well. But I'll take my Cardiff over my C4 any day. It's ten times the reel for only $20 more.

Went to Bass Pro Saturday. 6500 C4s are $110 now.

Redrockstore.com has the Cardiff for $84.95. How are they for backlash?

Default reels

How are you for backlashes? I do not mean that in a bad way but I don't think the reel has too much to do with backlashes, it is more the lure type, wind, line, plus more. I have always used the abu's and do like them but have broken the grips, anti-reverse has gone out, and some other issues but they were repairable at least. It is more of the way I fish and how often I used them to be fair though. It is over the budget you listed but I purchased the st.croix big musky reel this year which was $230 but I know I will get my moneys worth out of it and it sure looks good on a st.croix rod.

I'm terrible! My only experience with baitcasters is using a 1970's Shakespeare model 1969 with a 1970's Heddon fiberglass rod. I spent more time untangling backlashes than I did fishing. That's probably why I stopped musky fishing.

Reels have come along way since then. I use Abu Records on my musky rigs. They are really easy to set up so that you really have to do something stupid to cause a backlash. I have found the heavier musky lures are more forgiving in that regard. You just kind of sling them out there. I bass fish with Revo baitcasters and it takes a much more refined casting technique, reel adjustment and thumb control to cast a 1/2 ounce lure without a backlash.

There are some good videos on Youtube on learning to use a baitcaster. One suggestion I got from there, when I was learning baitcasters, was how to train your thumb. While watching tv in your favorite chair, hold your rod in your hand with some type of weight on your line, back off the friction knob, release your spool and repeatedly allow the spool to start and stop with your thumb until the weight hits the floor. Reel it up and repeat over and over. This will "train" your thumb, a skill you need to be able to do without thought.

Default Good Reels

Hi, I have a beautiful St. Croix rod w/ an ambassadeur (abu-garcia reel) .......... I used a St. Croix reel (borrowed from a friend) the other day and what a difference !!!! The St. Croix reels are expensive but you get what you pay for. I had only two backlashes in five hrs. thowing against the wind, with my Abu-garcia I'de have three times that amount............ so bite the bullet and get the Dodge Viper and not the Yugo !!!! Those big Musky lures are just to much for sub-par reels...... A St. Croix reel will be on my X-mas list this year.......... don't make the same mistake I made. Regards, Larry

There are 3 key components to using a baitcaster.

1) Learn how to adjust your reel properly for each lure

2) Use a heavy lure, and preferably one that floats when you are starting. If you are using something too light for the rod/reel/line you have, you are just going to have a miserable day. For bass, I would suggest using something that is 3/8 oz at the absolute minimum, and around 2 oz. for muskies. Topwater lures or floating crankbaits are the best when starting because they float. If you do get a backlash you won't lose your lure.

3) Practice. Eventually you will get used to using them, and you'll get pretty good at picking out backlashes as I have found.

Wink Musky Reels

I have used Gracia reels for many years, in fact, I had my 20 year old C5 fixed last fall for 4 bucks at Jenks in Hayward on B. Took him 5 minutes to determine I needed a new pall guide for the worm gear. It had worn out. It is now my #2 reel behind my Record. First of all, you should be adjusting your reel brake for each lure you use, making sure that the lure drops slowly when the reel is released. It will help avoid backlashes. Most backlashes are caused by not letting your rod load up before you start your forward cast motion. I have endured many over the years myself. Anyone who Musky fishes tells you they don't get backlashes is fibbing! Also...match the rod to your reel. A good starting reel is a Garcia 6600 or 6500 for sure, and under $100. A good Musky rod will cost about the same. I use the Shimano Compre Musky Series rod with my Record. I cast everything from little #4 bucktails to 3oz lures with it, and it comes back for more. The Record by the way has everything a Calcutta has too, at half the price. Hope this helps. Hard to find parts, I again suggest Jenks Bait & Tackle over in Hayward.

I have all abu's, 6600 c4's I have 5, love them, I have a BCX i think it was $89 or so 4 years ago. Backlasses are what you do. I have just recent got a Revo Toro 50. It was steep but so far I love it. I even bought a regular revo for the bass rod. You will get alot of I use this or I use that. Get what you can to start then go from there..But it is all about the Rod and Reel.

OK...so I bought a Cardiff for $92 and mounted it to my 40 year old musky rod. Next spring I'll update the rod. I stopped at R&H on the way up for line, leader, Boga Gripper, one "must have" lure, and a tee shirt. I had R&H load the line. They were great and offered lots of advice. After a few hours of short casts w/o any backlashes I started throwing harder. I was able to cast relatively well with only one minor backlash. At the end of the week I was satisfied with the distance that I reached. Next spring I'll work on a little more distance. I didn't see a musky all week, but was satisfied with what I bought and the distance that I was able to cast. So....how long is your average cast with a medium weight lure?

Default Casting distance

Hello Fang, Bait casting can be difficult as we all know. Backlashes, distance etc. Here are a few simple theories I have: When the spool is spinning faster than the lure is traveling.......guess what ??? a scenario for backlashes......hmmmm. "Thumb control" is key here. As stated by previous posts, drag, line weight, length of rod, wind etc. play into casting distance and the "dreaded" backlash. A previous post used the word "sling" when casting heavy muskie
    lures. I have found in essence that's what it is..... a sling!!! Throwing a top water lure is the easiest. One can throw them a country mile with little difficulty. Lures like the double cowgirl, magnum dogs etc. are a different story. I've found that an 8ft. rod with medium stiffness works best. I've tried different types of line, mono, braided and line weight, and it didn't seem to make a monumental difference. Throwing with the wind, and a somewhat "line drive" delivery vs. trying to hit the clouds works best. Setting the drag on the tight side helps cure backlashes, but will shorten casting distance. Don't be consumed with distance, as I've been with better fishermen than me who have landed Muskies with casts less than 75 feet. Also just watch other guys on the lake you fish, and you'll see that no one is setting any distance records !!!! The bottom line is you'll find your own way, and your own techniques as time passes. It's not rocket science, as there's only so much you can do !!! ........ Best regards, The frog caster.