www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Chautauqua

Default Chautauqua

Anyone been on this lake recently? I'm headin up there this weekend to cast and throw flies. Just wondering what the conditions of the lake might be. Not looking for any fish locations or anything. That is unless someone is willing to give that info too. LOL

Jay

I've been fishing it quite a bit since July. I haven't done any casting there this year so can't give you any details about that. We have been getting fish pretty consistantly with one great weekend at the end of August. The north end had cooled down to about 65 degrees last weekend and the south end is a couple degrees cooler. Water is pretty clear on the north end and the south end is off color as usual. I haven't seen much in the way of any algae bloom this year. Tons of bait at the north end of the north basin the last few weeks.
    I have a friend that does a lot of casting there and it sounds as though it's been pretty tough this year. He did get one big fish casting the same weekend we did very well at the end of August but doesn't seem to be seeing many fish most days. I heard labor day weekend was a good casting bite, but i wasn't there. Jamestown NY is predicted to have 20 degree cooler temps Saturday than Friday. I will be there this weekend as well and hope the weather turns them on instead of shutting them down.

Maybe find the cabbage on the South side of the North end and give it a shot.......I have not been there at all this year but the cabbage usually gets hot during Fall.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks for the info guys!! We're gonna give that lake heck and see what happens. I did see that nasty temp drop comin in for the weekend too and we're hopin things don't shut down. I told my brother that if it gets really slow, we're gonna find some fish in deep water and do some jiggin with ham sandwiches!!! LMAO

Anyone know what the air and water temps generally are in mid-October up there?

I would have to look at my records to be sure, but I would guess mid 50's. Mid October is usually turnover time on the North end from my experience.

Previous post was water temps. Air temps would be too hard to predict. Could probably be btwn 30-70 degrees in mid Oct.

27 degree drop from Friday to Saturday predicted for this weekend. Sure wish I could fish Friday before the change.

Hopefully the air temps will be a little warmer than 30. Is the lake castable that time of year? No foot waves or anything.

All I can do is laugh about this temperature drop coming up this weekend because this is the kind of thing that Mother Nature has done to me all season. This has been a strange year for me so far. I've had more fish hit and very few follows this year. Still only a few in the net, and I've lost a lot of fish. One of these days its gonna all come together. LOL

I was talking about mid-October in my last post. I don't believe it will get that cold this weekend.

Yep, I realized that you were about Oct. temps. I was referring to Ivan's post about the 27degree temp. drop happening this Friday into Saturday. One heck of a cold front comin in. LOL

Jay,

I'm going up tomorrow, friday, I'll give you a call if we do any good and fill you in.

We'll be trolling and I know your planning to cast but I'm thinking the flyrod is going to be out unless the wind really dies off from what I saw for friday.

Bring them line counters along!

Frank,

That would be awesome!! We'll be up there Saturday thru Monday, so hopefully the weather will give us at least one day to really go at it. Jeff is the only one of us with a line-counter at this point, so we could be in trouble!! LOL Good luck. Hope you get into em.

Jay

Is anyone catching anything casting?

How did everyone do at Chautauqua this weekend?

The cold front seemed to make things difficult but I heard fishing wasn't great all week. We got 2 on Saturday and 1 Sunday in my boat. A 32" and a 46.5" on Saturday and another 46.5" on Sunday. Also had two other short rips. I spent my whole weekend trolling the North end in 30+ fow. The fish we got were 20-25 feet down. I was glad to get two nice fish considering the weeknd.

Adam A.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adam46.5.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	11669

Name:	wags46.5.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	11670

Here are pics of the two 46.5"ers we got this weekend.

Here's a few more from our great weekend at the end of August on Chautauqua. Dad got all the big ones that weekend. 46, 46.6, and 48"ers

Name:	dad46.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	11671

Name:	dad46.5.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	11672

Name:	dad48.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	11673

Some good lookin' fish there fellows!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Way to go guys. I would be tickled with just one of those big gals. In fact, I hope to cross paths with one like them on Saturday.