www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bass Lake

Default Bass Lake

going to be fishing this with my nephew next month, just wondered if anyone has fished it before?? Dont think its very big, and is in a state park..

thanks

Dave

depending on how old your newphew is and what kind of fishing experience he has, you could be setting yourself up for a L O N G day. there are over 1000 standing trees in the lake. get a Frabill Lure Retriever before you go (the pole style, that extends). it will pay for it self your first trip.
    if your nephnew lets his lures sink a lot, he/you will be spending much time trying to get lures back. honestly, 1000 standing trees in that lake.
    check out the weather before you go...that place is a wind tunnel.

You might be looking at the wrong Bass Lake, the one with Muskie is South of Terre Haute and isn't in a state park. Tomcat is right about the standing timber and wind, it can horrible. But it's great if you don't like crowds. Lake is also electric only.

Like he said Get the lure retriver... LOTS OF TREES... Lake sucks in the wind. if you have a extra battery take it. It is ELE only. I have been there 2 times. No fish, its a long haul from Anderson.

Default bass

My nephew is in his twentys, but he does get snagged alot!!

I thought it was a small lake in the state park south of terre haute..

Its electric only?? You just cant use youre outboard, or you cant have one at all??

thanks guys

Dave

Hi Dave!
    The Dugger Unit of the Greene-Sullivan State Forest, is where Bass, Duck( a water shed of Bass), West and Black Cat all have Muskies The latter three only since '05. If you have a boat with 2or 3 trolling batteries you should be fine. If it's windy use that to your advantage by boat placement ( drifting). I would suggest a spinnerbait like a Lindy M&G, LLungen Nut Buster, Slopmaster, with a 10 or 12 single blade w/a 1oz.-1 1/2 oz. rubbercore sinker to keep it down, and rig your trailer Texposed with a 6" grub this helps greatly reduce the snags. If you keep a moderate retrieve it will bump the cover and not snag much. I'll p.m. you with more info! If you do any good let the Green-Sullivan Office know it helps keep them on the stocking program.

Buddy Ellenburg

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!!
    Last edited by Ifishtolive; 09-23-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add info

Default bass

Hi Buddy,

Just wondered if you got my p.m.?

gonna head to bass soon....

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 10-06-2010 at 03:41 PM.

You have mail!

Buddy Ellenburg

Take akid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!

Default bass

Anyone try top waters here??

Figured that might be good if theres that many snags there

Dave

Wink

Hey Dave!
    I'd throw'em with the water cooling down might be good! I've been throwing them every time I'm out and have not had any luck but am always hopeful!

Buddy Ellenburg

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!

Default bass

Hey Buddy,,

well, we tried to fish bass, had some great weather, but, couldnt get
    the boat launched! put it in a few feet, and it dropped off to fast, was a ledge, and the axle sat on the ground.. assuming its because the lakes are so low from the lack of rain.. took a few to get it pulled out!

so we fished a little strip pit the next morning and caught some bass..

maybe another time, dang it!!!

thanks for all the info Buddy

Dave

I fished this lake a year ago. Caught a largemouth on my first cast on a jointed shallowraider. Not even a follow the rest of the day. Tomcat is right. Tons of submurged trees and the wind. Oh the wind! The DNR guy from down there told me it is windy every single day there, so just bank on it. Sounds like there are some good muskies in it though. I amy head down there in a couple of weeks.