Seth Hoeppner of North Liberty, Iowa, had never been to Oak Haven before this week. He was fishing with his Dad today...Roger Hoeppner of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

While casting for Largemouth Bass...and after many casts....Seth launched his Bass Bait toward the weeds. As it hit the water, a large boil and splash ripped the water several feet to the right of his lure. The fish did a 180 degree turn and exploded on Seth's lure. He had never caught a Muskie and wasn't sure at the time just what he was up against. Well for many of us....this was "a fish of a lifetime." His Dad soon netted the monster and it was brought on board and quickly photographed, measured and released alive. A very nice Muskie at 44 1/2 inches....estimated to be 23-25 pounds.

Another Oak Haven customer was fishing nearby and heard the commotion. He came along side their boat to help identify the fish and witness it's length. Excitement was in the air when their camera's were brought into the Oak Haven lodge. Soon color pictures were being produced in our office and Seth's 8 x 10 picture was hung on our wall. It only takes one cast. Great job Seth!

We'd like to tell you that you'll do this too when you visit us. But we all know it's just not simple with Muskie...they can be elusive and unpredictable. This bass lure apparently was just what it was looking for. Seth and Roger explained to Debbie that Seth had lost two of those same lures on really hard smashes the day before. And like most Bass fishermen, these guys had on heavy line, that still was no match for these violent hits. Seth was kind enough to let me see this hot lure he was using. As you might guess....it took me about an hour before I returned from the store with two of them.

There's something going on with this surface water temperature cooling so quickly. Guests brought in at least a dozen Walleyes today...one group had a nice batch of Bluegills. Another guy had 3 Pike at 25-28 inches. Surface water temperature is 58 degrees out there today in most areas.