www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Sept 15th report-lots of fish

Default Sept 15th report-lots of fish

We finally had the fish moving yesterday. We threw Pacemakers and Supermodels all day long. If we did change baits it was to another Pacemaker or a different Supermodel. Matt Akins caught a 44 inch tiger that looked like it was cross with a spotted fish. I'll get some pictures up this weekend. That one came on a Pacemaker. I caught a 41 1/2 inch fish on a Supermodel burning it in. We had action from ten other fish with some of them being pretty large. I had a shot at a fifty inch class fish, even had it hooked for a little while. I was burning and when I say burning I mean reel a supermodel as fast as you can and then double that speed. The big fish I lost swiped at the supermodel and the water movement stopped the blades so the bait blew out of the water. That's how fast we were reeling them. As soon as the blades started it swiped at it again and the blades stopped and the bait flew out of the water again. The third time the fish got hooked and went absolutely nuts, head shook for what seemed like an hour but was only a couple seconds and gone. I don't mind telling anyone about screamin' Supermodels because the speed I was reeling at is a speed that only one client in all the years of guiding could do for more than a couple casts. Even with the best reels I don't think anyone will try it. Hopefully when I'm sixty years old I don't get cowgirl joints. In the evening we had three up on Pacemakers and one up on a Supermodel.

Gotta run,
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

What reel do u use for burnin the models?

mntraveler Guest

Shimano Trinidad 16N is the reel most folks are using. However, the Diawa Saltist is another alternative. I have both and prefer the Trinidad (although the lack of levelwind takes a little getting used to). The Trinidad is smooth as can be but spendy for a method specific lure. The Saltist has has been a decent real for significantly less $$ but some people don't like the weak release spring or the excessively large size of the 40.

If you do some looking at old posts on the other musky boards (especially those focused on MN) you will find more info than you want.

Alot of people are using either the calcutta LJV or the revo toro wench. Last time I was out with Ty he put the LJV handle on the revo...and well it made the cowgirl feel like a small mepps.

There is not a better reel than the Catcutta LJV but if you just buy the LJV handle it fits on Revo Winch reels or Revo Toro reels. Noew all said and done you still are going to feel any cowgirl or Supermodel Cowgirl when burning it in. It's not for the timid.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

And remember once you get that thing easily reeled in with those high falutin' reels, you still have to do da 8. It was the second thing I noticed using the revo: how nice it was to reel them (I didn't say burn them) and how the other muscles feel once you get the 8 involved!!!

Mark

Ty,

Thanks again for getting me on that fish. It was a beauty for sure and a lot of fun to catch on a Pacemaker. Too bad we couldn't get that fifty in the boat as well. Would have made for some more great photos. The weather was rough at times, but we did see a lot fish. At least I got one of them. Made the whole vacation for me. I now have a new personal best musky and more than likely won't ever catch a tiger musky as big as this one. Good stuff.

Matt

I get a kick out of people claiming to burn with the winch. Even a calcutta is only 25 inches per crank. When you get above 30 and 40 inches per crank then put the smoke to it, then it's burning!

Here is a picture that Ty got of the fish with my camera. Pretty fish. If you look closely you can see some rainbow colors on the back of it's head as well.

Thanks for posting the picture. That thing is really spotty. one of the strangest ones I've seen out there. Nice fish again,
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

With the other post about the photo album recently I started thinking again about this fish. This one was really silver-like in color in addition to the spots. I never really even thought about that aspect when it was caught. Have you seen many, or any, like this up there since then? Trying to figure out what strain it could have come from with that type of color. Strange.

Cool looking fish. Could it be a hybrid?

I haven't really seen any quite like that one. That thing was strange looking. Not the usual striping of a tiger. Cool fish though.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843