We have quite a battle going on for this year's Oak Haven Largemouth Bass Championship. (As many of you know, we have a "just for fun" fishing contest for 8 different species of fish.)

Rick Martens landed a 20 incher today, which places him in a tie for first for 2010. Rick also landed an 18 3/8. (I measure these fish myself....mouth closed, tail squeezed) Rick comes to Oak Haven twice each year, with Roger Hoeppner and Al Dalziel, all from Cedar Rapids. They were here in June this year, and it was Roger Hoeppner who landed the first place Bass, a 20 incher on June 17th. This means we now have a tie for the 1st place Largemouth Bass at 20 inches. And these guys have a couple more days to see if someone can get a bigger one! Rick also holds 3rd place with a 19 1/4 incher, and 4th place (a 19 incher) belongs to another guest from Cedar Rapids, Andy Burns.

Back in June, Rick, Roger and Al brought Reed Hoeppner along (Roger's Brother). Reed is currently holding on to 10th place with an 18 1/8th inch Largemouth Bass. Watch for our year end Final Results for our fishing contest to see who wins this battle!

Now in September, the 3 guys brought along Roger's son Seth Hoeppner (from North Liberty, IA). Roger took Seth fishing and Seth had to enjoy the day netting Roger's five Largemouth Bass. I told Seth to "be patient....it only takes one....to land the big fish of the week." I think Seth is just fine with being with guys who know how to catch 'em. Fishing with your Dad is pretty cool too.

The water temp is dropping and the fishing is improving each day.