www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 9/4–9/10 2010 fishing report

Cool 9/4–9/10 2010 fishing report

9/4 – 9/10 2010 fishing report

Before I start with the fishing report, thanks for your hospitality Wayne and Lydia. The camp was top notch and very enjoyable.

Fishing: Turnover on the lake happened the week while I was up so it was slow for all species. There also was a rough cold front the night before we came in that never moved out. Water temps at the beginning of the week were 67…at end were 62.

Muskies: Our party boated seven muskies…..larger ones trolling and smaller ones casting as is conducive with fall weather moving water temps down. A group did well casting for a few day as turnover started boating a 48 incher.

Bass: I hit the big boulder areas near the train tracks, but the fish were scattered. Only fished minimally for them….top was 3.5 lbs.

Walleye: live bait was the way to go. We did well with minnows (no leeches as none were being trapped this late). The walleye were very deep as the school up with a slow bite.

I’ve fished Canyon Lake before and we hit some of the roughest conditions available. If you have any questions ask and I’ll put specifics. Dress warm up there and enjoy.

Steve

Default 9/4–9/10 2010 fishing report

Edit: Wow, I just read Herbies report for Eagle Lake and he also said turnover occured there and its the first time he's seen it in 15 years. If I beleive anyone it would be him as he is a stand up guy. Wish I was there so I could drop my temp gauge down in 60 foot of water to see what it reads! Never in my 30 plus years of musky fishing have I seen turnover happen when the water temps are above 55-57 degrees...I guess its time to do some more research. If it did happen, I bet the weather was BRUTAL!! Below I would say is what usually happens.

stevestlouis,

"Fishing: Turnover on the lake happened the week while I was up so it was slow for all species. There also was a rough cold front the night before we came in that never moved out. Water temps at the beginning of the week were 67…at end were 62."

I have fished turnover on Canyon Lake numerous times over the last 6-7 years. Turnover on any and all lakes does not occur until the water temps are in the 50's. By rule of thumb, a normal lake is in the process of tunover when it is in the 52-57 degree range depending on the ecosystem. Once a lake hits 50-51 degrees turnover is usually complete.

Turnover on Canyon Lake in my experience typically happens in early to mid October and the same goes for Eagle Lake down the road. I've been on both of these systems and witnessed it. If it is a slow turn, it can last over a week and may turnover in sections. If it is a fast turn (cold, snow/rain, strong wind), you will go out one day with water temps of 56-58 degrees and go out the next day and they will be 50-51 degrees.

Just thought I would let you know so people don't get misled. Alot of people think turnover is happening when the lakes start cleansing themselves with their late algae blooms. These blooms are normal but not a sign that the lake is turning over.

Very Interesting, I normally do not fish past August/September and do not know anything about Turnover...I will research. Any thoughts as to what fishing may be like in a week or two or is fishing basically done now? I am thinking about heading up in a week or two to fish and some misc work. I heard Trout may be good this time of year but i won't make it before season closes .

If there is a chance to catch some fish I am going to attempt a short trip...and dress warm.

As always, any comments are greatly appreciated.