www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Planer Board Lights

Default Planer Board Lights

Does anyone have any ideas for a cheap way to light up Offshore boards at night? I've used glowsticks in the past, but it gets expensive using 6 sticks a night for 2 or 3 nights each weekend.

Default Planer boards

Long time reader first time poster.
    what i do is get a strip off reflective tape from Menard's or were ever and place on boards. I use churches and the weight on the bottom is used for the pitch of the board. I pitch the board far back so it rides high. The tape will reflect off a head lamp or the stern pole light.

Stanton

Default glow sticks cheap

Check out the glow sitcks on this website. 100 for ten bucks
    http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

Default Glow Stick .....

Took a few years but they have battery waterproof glow sticks cheap. Look on the net for Sylvania Lite Stick. LED flash or solid and can get them for around 5 bucks. takes 3 sm. batteries and will last 60-80 hrs. They come in three colors are a little heavy on small boards but work great. You can get import batteries out there cheap for under 10 per 100. Now if we can just find a cheap source for gasoline........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lite stick.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	11555  

Ive been using a glow tape from a company called Glowin Outdoors. The stuff is awesome. It will stay lit for hours and it works great on planer boards, tip up flags etc. The guys name is Dan Okray and his phone # is (262) 593-5004.
    If you get to any of the Musky shows in the winter I usually cary all of his stuff.

John Bette
    muskihntr@sbcglobal.net
    STEALTH TACKLE
    "Clearly the Leader"
    www.stealthtackle.net

Default Water resistant LED lights and mounts

I have over the past several years narrowed down what works best for me and several of my friends. the light sticks are water resistant and the batteries last about a week or more and I use them about 6-8 hrs a night on solid lighting not flashing. I have these plastic holders that we slide out the old, and slide in the new one when it needs replaced. works great for us.

I also have been making LED flood light stick (lantern) for night fishing and several of my friends use them and said I should patent them. (no fuel or socks needed with this LED lantern. if interested email me.

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Thanks, ordered some of those up! That's cheap compared to buying them in stores.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Are those skinny ones bright enough for lighting up the outside board when you're running 3 boards per side?

If you toss your glow sticks in the freezer after you've activated and used them, you can get another night or more out of them.

I found single red led lights at walmart around the floats in the fishing tackle aisle. They are around 3 or 4 dollars a piece, but the led lasted me all season. I just drilled a small hole in the top of the boards and inserted them. They are very bright. They are about the same size as the glow sticks for bobbers (less than 2 inches long). They worked great for me.

Fyi, just received 200 of those 8" from catfish connection, they are pretty skinny, they're the ones kids use for bracelets, but they seem sufficiently bright enough inthe yard last night, easily visible at 20 yards, getting little dim at 40 yds. I don't usually run my boards out that far. Hope to try them on the water soon.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Thanks, I figured those thin ones wouldn't be real bright at a distance. I usually run my outter board out to 150' of line and the thin ones I've tried were pretty tough to see. They weren't bad for the first hour or so but then got pretty dim.

With how cheap they are I wonder if you could put 2 on each board or maybe change them out once or twice a night to keep the boards visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishoil View Post

With how cheap they are I wonder if you could put 2 on each board or maybe change them out once or twice a night to keep the boards visible.
    I think I may double them up. Left outside my window last night, was still visible this morning 10 he's after activating it.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"