www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Cradle or net?

Default Cradle or net?

I am just getting started on Musky fishing. Can someone explain the pros and cons of a large net versus a cradle?
    Thanks.

I can't say I have ever used a cradle, but I would definitely go with the net. Obviously, it is much easier to land a fish, especially a big one. Once the fish is in the net, you let it relax for a second, remove the hooks, and let it relax again while you get the camera ready. Ultimately, the fish stays in the water the entire time. The cradle would be used basically the same way, but I imagine it to be significantly harder. I have seen people use cradles to weigh fish. They lay the fish in the cradle and attach the scale to the straps on the cradle. This gets a weight and doesn't hurt the fish. When you pick a net remember to choose one with a big hoop and a deep, tooth-proof bag. The netting will eliminate your hooks getting caught and the fish can't bite through.

Get a net. you can't use a cradle alone for one and the net is a much easier option to land the fish quicker.