www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weather and Musky Wisdom

Talking Weather and Musky Wisdom

Steve, coming up to Canada on Friday.... Looks like cooler weather... Are the Muskies going to be jumping in the boat or slower due to adjusting to the cooler temps? Any words of wisdom from the Musky guru? I have heard Steve described as half Musky.

Default herbie

we had a cool down since beginning of the week incl a storm,cold front with high winds,today high pressure following and still this week so far the stanek group boated a 50,hardys a 49,miles a 51,norkowicz a 51.5,narsettes 48,theres been a bunch of 42-48's boated,i know of at least 4 real good fish in the 50"+ range lost at boat side as well as many close calls on boat side manuevers as 90% of the fish caught are happening there lately.quite a few fish 52-55" have been raised,also i don't know what is going on but both scott and cal have had guests raise fish pushing that magic 60" and a good friend of mine who guides for another resort told me the same thing, all in the past 2-3 days which normally you only hear reputable stories of fish that size showing up maybe once a year or less.maybe this will be the year.
    a cool down this time of the season really is expected and should occur,what i hate is the opposite really.as the nights get longer,days shorter,and temps start to slowly drop going into fall is a heat wave and rising water temps.
    obviously it's a wait and see deal as my crystal ball is a bit foggy but what typically you see during a cool down is rocks becoming a dominate pattern possibly seeing fewer fish but when they come a high % are serious and want to dance.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Well my dance card is open!! bring on the fat girls to Dance!!

Backing off the shorts and adding more sweatshirts to the list.

I am with herbie, like the cool down rather than a heat up...although this will be a pretty drastic, cool down...it at least will be consistant it looks for the week.

With the big cool down and big fish being seen lately, I predict there will be some nice fish caught next week. I bet it won't be an easy week...(PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!) but hard work I think could land a fish or two of a life time!

OH!! and you miss heard the quote....it isn't Steve is half muskie (although he is)...the real quote is Steve is HALF as tall as a muskie :-)

Cory

Good Luck up there Cory, I hope you guys all score F A T! Im gonna miss bein up there. Give the AML crew a kick for me!
    STEALTH TACKLE
    "Clearly the Leader"
    www.stealthtackle.net

Quote Originally Posted by C.Painter View Post
    I am with herbie, like the cool down rather than a heat up...although this will be a pretty drastic, cool down...it at least will be consistant it looks for the week.

With the big cool down and big fish being seen lately, I predict there will be some nice fish caught next week. I bet it won't be an easy week...(PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!) but hard work I think could land a fish or two of a life time!
    CP,

I think you guys are going to slay 'em. When I was there in the last half of August, there were a few major fronts that dropped the water temps about 13-14 degrees which made it tougher than usual for that time of year.

Now that it seems things have progressed into the beginning of the more normal early Fall pattern and steady slow drop of water temps, I would think the lake is primed for the big girls to be moving around. Indeed with the recent big fish sightings, that would seem to already be confirmed.

You guys are due to have a good early Sept trip this year. I think the last few have been fairly tough for you guys. It all goes in cycles, and I think this year late August was a bit off, but early Sept is going to be spectacular.

Good luck. Even in late August, it seemed some of the larger fish were already starting to hold a bit deeper off the rock bars. Fish slower and deeper. Fish were still in the weeds my first week, but were becoming more scarce by the second week (last week of Aug).

-Dan

Herbie,
    Your report that Scott and Cal and another guide have seen fish pushing five feet is the most exciting thing I've heard in a long time. Can you give us a little more of the story? Did somebody hook up, or was it just a glimpse, or did they get a good look? Did everybody see the same fish or were there several like that?

Also, is there any news on Kelly and Scotty's baby?

Can't wait to see you in two weeks,
    Bill

Long time since i posted here, if scott and Cal are moving 60s then there is definitely a story to them. Hope that you put them into the boat! Cant wait to get back up there! Hope all is going well with the Jaegers, and everyone up there!!!! have a great finish to the year everyone and stick me a 60+

Alex

This was my first trip to Eagle Lake and I now know this is the musky captiol of the world. Everyone at Andy Myers is exceptional. I have been musky fishing for 30 years and have gone to alot of different places and I am sorry it has taken me this long to come to Andy Myers and Eagle Lake.

With that said, I boated the 51.5 this past week that Steve referenced, my personal best. And boated a 49 incher later in the week.

Every spot that we went this week was holding BIG fish. We had many chances to hook up but just missed on serveral chances. We had hooks in at least 4 other 50in + fish but lost them when the fish came out of the water and spit the hooks or just darted out on the turn at the boat.

I personally raised two of the biggest fish that I have ever seen. I fished with Cal one of our days and raised a fish that he estimated to be at least 56 inches if not more. This big girl came slow but stayed for a good minute so we all could see her.

Second huge fish I saw was the day I went with Scotty, this fish came came a little bit hotter and did take a turn at that the boat but never hooked up. Scotty estimates it to be mid to high 50's. Scotty took two others out in my party two days later and saw what they believe to be the same fish.

Scotty's daughter is doing very well, gaining weight every day.

I fished with Mikey for several days and he put us on huge fish every day as well. if it weren't for me screwing up at the boat serveral times I would have boated many large fish with Mike but still was able to hook into the 49incher with him.

The big fish are for sure moving. I still can not believe the quality of fish in Eagle, it is unreal.

i have now found a home with Andy Myers and all the great people that work there.

Thanks again Steve for a great time.

Nork