www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: cougars

Default cougars

Last weekend in July we had a cougar with its paws on our dining room window. Our family cottage is on the north end of TFF. Anyone else with any sightings near there?

fav:

Neat, I thought I might have seen one south of Mellen last winter.

Mark

@ grandmas favorite

Is your cottage on Wallace Road?

Default Just an FYI

This is from the DNR website...you judge.

Cougars are listed as protected in Wisconsin. It is illegal to kill a cougar except to prevent injury to a human.

Wildlife officials said there is no reason for concern as cougars typically avoid any contact with humans. While the risk of a cougar attacking a human is exceedingly small, it does exist. Officials from Arizona, which has a large population of cougars, offer this advice:

If you encounter a mountain lion:

•Do not approach the animal. Most mountain lions will try to avoid a confrontation. Give them a way to escape.
    •Stay calm and speak loudly and firmly.
    •Do not run from a mountain lion. Running may stimulate a mountain lion’s instinct to chase. Stand and face the animal. Make eye contact.
    •Appear larger. Raise your arms. Open your jacket if you are wearing one. Throw stones, branches, or whatever you can reach without crouching or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly. The idea is to convince the lion that you are not easy prey and that you may be a danger to it.
    •Maintain eye contact and slowly back away toward a building, vehicle, or busy area.
    •Protect small children so they won’t panic and run.
    •Fight back if attacked. Many potential victims have fought back successfully with rocks, sticks, caps, jackets, garden tools, their bare hands, and even mountain bikes. Since a mountain lion usually tries to bite the head or neck, try to remain standing and face the animal.

However, if you are confronted by a 2 legged cougar, buying them a drink often works well in these cases!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

"speak loudly and firmly"??? What do you say to them?

Where is the best place up there to look for the 2 legged variety? Loud and firm with them too? Look them in the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
    Where is the best place up there to look for the 2 legged variety? Loud and firm with them too? Look them in the eye?
    www.cougarlife.com NEVER look them in the eye!

Hahahahahahahahaha!
    HRG

Default 2 legged

- never approach the 2 legged, they will approach you.
    - don't run, they are much faster than they appear.
    - fighting back with sticks, chains, whips, etc. will only heighten the "attack"
    - turn in early, the closer to 2 a.m., the more likely the attack.
    - if all ease fails, ask them to spot you a few bucks for pull tabs, then light up a swisher sweet. If that doesn't work, take it like a man.

Cool Stalking Cougars

In California cougars have been known to stalk trail biker's and also walkers with great sucess. Protected also in California. Watched a program on Public Television about people that have been munched and dragged off dead. Not a very friendly animal to say the least. I my self have not seen any evidence of cougars, I have a place on the Roddis line . Who Knows , I have talked to others that have seen them.

Default Cougars

For years the DNR denied that cougars existed in Wisconsin yet protected them by law, WHAT? Go figure.
    Don Pemble

Yeah, you're right Don. Why would we protect something that isn't here?
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.