www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: HELP musky fishing labor day weekend

Default HELP musky fishing labor day weekend

hello,
    Im traveling up to eagle river this up coming weekend sep. 3-6 and would like to try some musky fishing. Mostly ive just bass and walleye fished around home here and have caught a couple small northerns on spinners and cleos.

Ive never gone musky fishing and would like to try it while im up there and cant really afford to hire a guide for the day. Well be staying right on the river close to duck lake any and all info will be greatly apprieciated. I was at gander mountion the other day and bought a few musky mayhem showgirl baits. I have no clue if i bought something good or not lol.

If you don't have a heavy action rod and a baitcaster you won't be able to cast or retrieve those showgirls. Bring them back and get some smaller mepps for northerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
    If you don't have a heavy action rod and a baitcaster you won't be able to cast or retrieve those showgirls. Bring them back and get some smaller mepps for northerns.
    i have a skeet reese heavy action rod and a pfluger baitcaster reel. Im hoping this set up will work, like i said i have no experience musky fishing..

just wondering though why doesnt a spinning reel work for a showgirl? is the gearing in a spinning real not enough?

Thanks
    Matt

I bought a heavy action spinning reel for my son because he can't cast a baitcaster yet. (He is 6) Even though it is the heaviest action rod I could find it just doesn't have the backbone to throw 2-3 oz, baits. It will be very tiring to reel in the show girl with a spinning reel or a bass baitcaster. The large Colorado blades create a lot of drag. I would suggest some smaller musky killer Bucktails. They are great producers and much easier to reel in and cast. You will also have a better chance of catching northerns and bass on the smaller baits.
    http://www.mepps.com/information/mus...40#description

I bought a heavy action spinning reel for my son because he can't cast a baitcaster yet. (He is 6) Even though it is the heaviest action rod I could find it just doesn't have the backbone to throw 2-3 oz, baits. It will be very tiring to reel in the show girl with a spinning reel or a bass baitcaster. The large Colorado blades create a lot of drag. I would suggest some smaller musky killer Bucktails. They are great producers and much easier to reel in and cast. You will also have a better chance of catching northerns and bass on the smaller baits.
    http://www.mepps.com/information/mus...40#description
    ok thanks alot!! any advice on were to fish and what times of day are the best. everything will be catch and release i just want a chance to catch a musky.
    were going to be staying by duck lake is there anywere on duck that i could score a musky or some northern
    thanks alot

im willing to pay for the advice and help and would love to get a guide i just cant spend the 200 for 4 hours right now.. i understand these guides have put in alot of hard work and fishing to know were to go and what to use and I truley respect that and understand why they charge what they do! i just cant do it right now

Pick up the Eagle River edition of this map book series. They are invaluable. I have 6 different books. They will direct you to productive spots and techniques.

http://www.fishingthenorthcountry.com/

Pick up the Eagle River edition of this map book series. They are invaluable. I have 6 different books. They will direct you to productive spots and techniques.

http://www.fishingthenorthcountry.com/

THANKS a ton!