www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: walleyes/pike

Default walleyes/pike

I am fortunate enough to be taking another week to go catch some fish on Leech Lake! We have been up plenty of times in the past and this year was the week prior to Memorial Day. We did pretty well and were able to release several nice fish back to the wonderful waters of Leech Lake. We are going to be up there starting Saturday, Sept 4 for a week. Since I have never been up there this late in the season, could anyone tell me where to fish during this time and the best presentations (Walleye, Pike, Muskie)? With live bait rigs, do leeches continue to work? Also, what are the current water temps up there? Any information would be helpful. Thanks and I enjoy following all the great fishing stories on this message board.

The flats off sugar point are good this time of year we go up every labor day weekend and do real well.

Default Leech Lake Labor Day week-end

I live on Leech Lake and have a resort on Pine Point. The water surface temp is 64 degrees which is down 7 degrees from last week. Perch are being caught in the Walker Narrows, 2nd Duck Point and east of Stoney Point. Starting to see limits of 9" or better each day. They have been fishing with fathead and hook. Pretty simple presentation.
    The guests that have been bringing their own leeches have not had a lot of luck with the walleyes. The walleye that have come in this week have been caught off of Pine Point, Stoney Point and Walker Bay. Fishing with a chartruse jig and minnow by day and trolling with a shad rap after dark.

Thank you for the insight. I am looking forward to the week. I will post and keep everyone updated on how things go. Maybe we will be able to snare some walleyes or some pike. Thanks again and any more information would be greatly appreciated. We are staying in Traders Bay so Stoney, Pine, Sucker Bay, etc. are fairly close areas to get at.

how does the fall walleye fishing usually go on Leech? we wont be able to get up much until October, and then there are 3 weekends in a row i might be up. When does the lake usually turnover, does the main lake turnover ever or just walker bay? what the general areas and rules for fall fishing on leech?

We are up on the lake now and it has been difficult since Saturday. The weather is constantly changing and it is currently raining now. I am told the water temp went down about 10 degrees in the last 2 weeks. The wind has picked up so hopefully that will help. I will update if we are able to land any fish here in the next couple days. Any other insight would be helpful from anyone!

I just got back from fishing leech Friday through Sunday. Friday during the day was a tough go as we battled 3-4' chop but found a few solo eyes on some sand flats off goose and a couple off pine. Friday night we struck gold trolling fatheads on a lindy rig with gold spinners. (I believe a small gold spinner was key) we boated our limit of eyes in a couple hrs right at dark along the weed edge at the narrows. Sat, resulted in the same thing, abit slow during the day but cleaned house at dark in the same place with the same set up. The only trick was to keep the crappie and rock bass off your hook. Sunday we took a trip to Winni and found a hole in sugar bay where me and 2 other guys boated 23 eyes from 16-25" and more JUMBO perch than you can imagine in an afternoon. a couple are going on my wall as they made the 14" mark. they were all caught on yellow beetle spins. That was some of the funnest fishing ive had all year.

hope this helps you abit.

good luck.