www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Border Beer

Default Border Beer

I was in a liquor store today looking at some nice brews to bring up for our week long vacation on the Woods next weekend.

I know you are only allowed 1 case per person. I guy I talked to said he and a buddy bring up 4 cases and pay a small duty fee for the additional cases. That sounds like a better plan than spending up to $40 for a case of say MGD before we load up the boat and head over to Oak.

Can anyone confirm this as an option? Thanks

Default beer

under 30.00 a case at north point bar and grill up at the Angle, Call 218-223-4888 and let them know what you need and they will have it there...AsK for Cathy........

What is duty on a $15 case of Coors Light up there,bought from here?

Just an FYI in case you're unaware, but it is illegal to have alcohol in the boat in Canada. So, plan on drinking whatever you bring at the cabin at night after fishing each day. Most the guys I see up there with a load of beer, seem to be able to accomplish this quite well, although they aren't always the first ones on the dock the next morning. Of course, I'm not one to debate such matters. Good luck on your trip.

Ryan

Thanks for the info Ryan. Did not know that. Drinking a few cold ones whilst draggin spinning rig is a great time. Gotta figure out how to work that all out!

How bad is the sweat on the water?

We have been over the limit several times, and inform them during the "interview" at the border. I think since you are just passing through, they let us go without the duty. It must not be much or worth the paperwork. But we were 25% over the limit, not 400% per person.

It would be interesting to find out if someone has been charged and what the rate is; most of the time I think it would be worth it.

Now, don't stay in the U.S. and decide that you want to pop over the border to see "something" the night before your trip right across the border, then try to re-enter the states with your full load of liquor....for some dumb reason, they didn't like it at all. U.S. Customs.... gotta love em.

Same deal here, we made it thru customes with one extra case for 4 guys, next year we thought we would be smart guys and brought up an extra case per guy, Think Ryan was referring to us, and they made up pay an extra $10 per case. Now, that would not have been too bad, but we brought home a case of beer due to spending a couple of nights at the bars on the islands, thus we brought home a $30 case of beer. Not a big deal cost wise, more the principle of the matter!

If you are dragging spinners on the US side, drink all you want, our group did better when they drank and dragged the bottom for wallies.

pikebob

Default Get Thru Quick!

Oh yeah, one other thought. If you don't have to go inside and deal with extra beer costs, it gets you thru customs cleaner and gives them less chance to mess with you on other things, especially if you have any DWIs in the group! They will turn you around, been there, done that!! Get thru clean and quick is our theory!

Trying to stay out of trouble!

Roger that Bob.

Clean and easy. My history is not the cleanest (15 years ago got in trouble), but I went thru all the proper channels, paid my fees, and have the golden ticket and RABC pass.

But I still want to get past any obstruction without incident.

Is the shell station that you buy the Ontario fishing License from past the customs station, so we could then buy our Ontario licenses,get a couple cases of beer,drop the boat in load it up with our gear and head off, or after the Shell,we still have togo thru customs?

Thanks a lot.

The Shell station is in Manitoba.

If you haven't been up there before, as you get closer to the Angle there is a clearly marked line cut through the woods. That line is the international boundary where you actually re-enter the US. There occassionally may be customs agents there - either US or Canadian or both. They sometimes have sniffer dogs, so leave the whacky stuff at home.

After that you come to Jim's Corner where there is a remote reporting phone. You will need to call the US customs from there (press the American flag on the phone). The agent that answers may or may not ask if you aquired ANYTHING in Canada.

Another important thing about the RABC - it applies only to people, not to goods, which in your example would include alcohol. I was politely chastised for this once, he let me keep it and go through, but informed me he could have confiscated it. So, if your goal is to get through as smoothly as possible you would likely not want to buy any in Canada.

As noted earlier, there are legal places to buy it at the Angle.

I asked a guy if he ever went golfing. He said he used to, but it wasn't expensive enough so he started fishing.

Our plan is to leave Friday afternoon, and drive straight thru to youngs bay landing, load up the boat with all our stuff, launch the boat, and cruise over to Oak, unload, and then hit the southwest portion of the island rock reefs and try and catch a walleye.

Between South Beloit Illinois at 5pm Friday and Youngs Bay landing mid morning Saturday, what all do we have to do? We do need to get Ontario fishing licenses for sure, and supposedly the Shell is the spot.

I was thinking there would be one stop at some customs stop, like Baudette or Intl Falls, where we show our passports, RABC, and then we launch and fish for a week. Along the way, stop at a gas station for a fishing license. Now i am hearing customs, manitoba, ontario, dogs, officers.

This link will show you there is a detour (and it is a long one) between Intl Falls and Baudette. If you cross into Canada at Intl Falls or Baudette the only reasonable(?) way to get to Youngs Bay is by water.

http://www.511mn.org/Default.asp?dis...textOnly=False

If you intend to drive to Youngs Bay you will want to cross into Canada at Warroad. Once in Canada you will go to Sprague where the Shell station is. Customs at Warroad is open 24 hrs but the Shell station is not.

suggested route: get yourself to Msp/ST Paul on 94 West

Take I-94 W/US-52 N. Last weekend there was construction by Elk River/ Rogers not far from the Cabelas store. It was pretty short and didn't slow traffic much, even during rush hour.

Merge onto MN-15 N via EXIT 167B toward ST CLOUD.
    You will go through St Cloud and merge into Hwy 10.

Stay STRAIGHT to go onto US-10 W.

Merge onto MN-371 N toward BRAINERD.

Turn LEFT onto N PAUL BUNYAN EXPY/MN-200/MN-371. Continue to follow N PAUL BUNYAN EXPY/MN-371. You will go through Walker (home of Reeds Sporting Goods - one mighty fine toy store)

At Cass Lake turn LEFT onto US-2 W. Highway 2 is 4 lane and serves as a bypass around Bemidji.

From Bemidji take US-71 N. to Blackduck. (Timberline Sport and Convience in Blackduck is another good place)

On the north side of Blackduck take 72 to Baudette, NOT 71 to Intl Falls. You will turn left at Shooks (don't blink) and go through Kellier and Waskish and on to Baudette.

At Baudette turn left (west) onto Hwy 11. Take 11 through Baudette and Warroad. At the Dairy Queen-Marvin Windows-Lake Country Chevy stop light turn north to get to Customs.

Stop in Sprague to buy your license. Head north and follow signs to NW Angle and Youngs Bay.

Bob

We dont plan on going in thru Baudette or Intl Falls. Just thru Warroad and then Sprague to Young's Bay.

We will be stopped at Warroad and Sprague, or just Warroad?

Customs is just north of Warroad. No customs at Sprague.

Ok thanks for the info Bob.

Just want as smooth a trip as possible so we can get on the water and start learning.

4 stops

1. Warroad customs
    2. Srague for Ontario License
    3. Young's for launch
    4. Baystore Camp

Frank does have some beer too, for emergencies!!! Tapped into it a couple of times in the past.

Otherwise there was an extremely hot bartender at Flag Island too!!!!! However they were out of our beer of choice when we were there in August, just made a slight taste adjustment and we were on our way again!!!

pikebob

Default Shell Station

The station will not be open till some time after 8:00 am. The beer store in Sprague is not open till after 10:00am.

Buy beer at Young's Bay but no off sales on Sunday.

Don't forget to call and report in to U. S. Customs in at Jim's corners when you arrive.

Have fun!!!

I know you will have a great time!

We usually bring two cases and a 1 liter bottle over, for two of us sometimes more. Only once did we ever have to pay duties, it wasnt too bad. You can always buy more beer or liquor in sprague or buy it right at Young's bay at the little bar there. It is very reasonably priced I thought, only a couple bucks more for a 12er or case but heck they had to haul it all the way in there just like gas. Very convienent I thought.

Mr Musky