www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report

Default Fishing Report

It has been awhile since I have posted a report. Busy guiding and a trip to Canada have kept me off the computer. Walleye fishing has been tough for about 3 weeks now. Talking with other guides sitting around the table drinking coffee at Shrivers Bait shop, has not produced the magic secret to putting more fish in the boat. So if you have had trouble catching walleyes you are not alone. Of course we look for excuses or reasons the fish are not biting. There is a conscientious among the guides that the warm water has resulted in fish going deeper to reach cooler temps. Another theory which I buy into is the fact that Leech Lake experienced a tremendous perch hatch this season and the walleyes are feasting on young of the year perch. When cleaning walleyes I have found stomach contents of perch. The live well is also evidence of regurgitated perch. With these thoughts in mind fishing deeper water has produced some fish, although many are big fish in the slot they are fun to catch which is what it is all about. Jigs and minnows or leeches have been a good presentation for targeting deeper fish. Live bait rigs also work especially when using large minnows. Use heavy jigs and slip sinkers especially if you have some wind to maintain contact with the bottom. Trolling bottom bouncers with crawler harnesses has also resulted in catching active fish. Again use heavy bottom bouncers. Keep moving and look for fish. Using a good sonar and seeing fish before actually fishing is a good method to eliminate water.

Perch fishing is picking up and the best shot at picking up a meal. You will have to sort though and catch some smaller fish before you catch an occasional jumbo, but it is constant action. Again keep moving, same with panfish.

Muskie fishing has been very good as of late. Weeds, rocks, break-line and suspended fish are active. I have noticed several smaller fish this year, 35 to 40 inches which I believe is a great sign of a healthy population. The weeds are in good shape and are a good place to start. Double Cowgirls have been very good. We have a new moon on August 24th, if you have a chance go chase a muskie, and let it go.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Wink

Thanks for the report Murph, glad to hear im not missing much at the moment. Ill be back up in a couple weeks though, hopefully things pick up by then.

Thumbs down Perch Locations

Murph,
    Hello Thanks for your latest post. I live up on Sucker Bay and have had little or no luck finding perch in my usual locations. Any suggestions as to a general area or type of structure to look for in concentrating my perch search.
    Thanks

Default Perch

The perch I found were in 6 to7 feet, mostly sand bottom. The perch are just moving to their seasonal locations. I would think they are in or near the weeds. Especially the outer edge. Keep trying your normal spots they will show up as the water cools.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com