www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishin' Report 8-17-10

Default Fishin' Report 8-17-10

Hello everyone, this is Cathy from Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro shop right here in Tomahawk. With cooler temps this week, we can expect the fishing to pick up quite a bit! Walleyes have been getting easier and easier to come by as we head into fall fishing. Leeches and Crawler harnesses worked during the day along humps, drop offs, and rock bars have been working great!! Floating Rapalas and Shallow Running Shad raps have been the hot crankbaits for the morning and evening hours. Cast along the weed edges and on rock bars, 4-8ft of water. Twister tails on a lead head jig have been proving effective as well!! Fish deeper during the day and shallow in the morning and evening for the best catches!!! Large Gills are being caught out here below some of the area dams. Fish the swirling tidepools along the rocky edges below the dams. A simple clip on bobber with a piece of crawler below is working great!! A few bonus smallmouth have been being caught with this same technique. The northern pike bite has slowed a bit. Our best luck has been on live bait! Large Suckers and Golden Shiners have been capturing the most fish!! Use a strip on spinner rig or Johnson silver minnow spoon with one of these larger sized minnows and you are sure to get a hit!!! Fish along cabbage weed edges in the morning and evening hours, 6-12ft of water. Smallmouth bass have been hitting out here on the river and most area lakes. They have been schooling in the deeper water during the day 8-12ft. Skirted Bass Jigs worked along rocky and weedy bottoms have been hot, with blue and black colors producing the most fish! Rigging worms wacky style has been a hot technique as well. Use Yum Dingers, Yamasenkos, or Powerbait's powerworms. Well, thats all for today. This has been your wednesday fishing minute update with catch em cathy. For daily fishing updates and fish pictures, log on to fishtomahawk.com
    Trophy Fish Replicas

Do you expect the Pike bite to pick up at all with the cooler temps?

My son got this on Saturday...

Best luck all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joey 47 pb.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	11286  

Mike thats awesome. What lake were you guys fishing on?

That is a nice fish. Really fat. Well done!

Here is a video of it.. Lake Alice was the place to be that morning, we did hit Oneida, Mohawksin, Nokomis, Bridge, Jersey and Alice over the weekend. Love mixing it up to see what's going on in the area.. All lake were on, but this was the biggest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOQEbal8Lc

Release video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhGQFrtvuME

Default 26

Nice fish and video. That fish had to be 25lbs plus.

How were things on Jersey? Any musky action? Any action on anything out there? How are the weeds now that they have confirmed Eurasian milfoil?

Nice videos Mike. What where you guys using for bait? Also where abouts was that musky at? Im pretty sure from the pictures that I know exactly where it was but just wanted to make sure.

Jersey has become the dead sea for Muskies in the last few years. I keep going back just to take my boy's for Northerns & Bass, I still cast for em, but don't see much anymore. It's been a few years since we got one in the net.

I wrote what lake the muskie came off of & you can see the bait when I pull it out of the net. It's a Topraider.. The muskie was on a weed line on the shallow side of one of the islands. I can't explain where without showing it on a map.. She's still in there with many many more I'm sure.

Yeah it has. I lost one that was low 40's there last year, and had a 31 incher the year before, but nothing near what it had been like in the past. When discussing the eurasian milfoil and bullhead and dogfish explosion with the DNR last year they mentioned they may be doing fish survey on Jersey this year and to check with them in early 2011 to see the results. Maybe they will find they need do some musky stocking there if they actually did the survey. I wouldn't be surprised if they did not do it to save some costs. Who knows, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for posting the video, that was really neat to watch.

JimL mention a high bullhead population. Can someone explain what effect a bullhead overpopulation can do to a fishery? It seems there are places in the area where bullheads occupy every square inch of bottom. thanks.

Bullheads have always been around so I'm not so certain there is a big population explosion going on right now. Either way, they are Muskie food and that a good thing. Probably not so good for any reproducing game fish, but I'm not a scientist /Biologist. I did get one that hit spinner bait; apparently the grub was too tempting for it. 

I didn't know that muskie feed on bullheads. I figured the spines on the fins would be to much for even a muskie. I love jigging for walleye, so bullheads have become a sore-subject with me. I even had one take a lively golden shiner under a slip bobber mid-day last weekend. Arugh... I can't escape them.
    Last edited by Fin Bender; 08-25-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Walleyes like bullheads too!!!

The quote below is from another website where the walleye guys and catfish guys like to go back and forth!!!

"Anything smaller than 6 inches and the walleyes swallow them too fast."

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/show...rt/1/bullheads

Eventually the bullheads will be cut back, but until then they may be the prey explosion that is making the 'eyes tougher to catch down in that neck of the woods!!!

Just a thought...

Mark