www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: First time to TFF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Stay under the first ball on the power lines???? Are you seriously telling someone to ski or tube from Bastine and go out past the power lines?? If you take it wide out of Bastine towards the power lines that is exactly where that rock hump is located that I mentioned earlier.

What if you're dragging a skier and there's a boat fishing under the first ball on the power lines forcing you to change your course? Go about sixty feet towards the second ball and tell me if you'd like to ski in that area.

Wisconsin has way too many lakes condusive for watersports to even consider it on the flowage. I don't say that because I want to preserve the sanctity of Lake Bastine, I say that because it's true.
    Randy I am saying to stay closer towards shore when turning towards Ft Flambeau. I am well aware of the rock pile straight out from Hiawatha and Lake view intersection. Being under the first ball would keep you close to shore.
    R.I.P. Hiawatha Resort

Cool Poor Subject, Water sports

Every time this subject is discussed there is always some one that thinks water sports on the flowage is OK. That in itself is an impossible discussion. I think the person who would want to open a discussion that they do it all the time is not telling the truth. Most intelegent people would not tempt fate on the flowage.I am not trying to be rude but If sledgehead does water sports on the flowage, it appears as though he may have hit the rock pile more than once. Do not do water sports on the flowage, just a real bad idea.

I appreciate the warnings and I'm getting the point. It's just not worth the risk or a controversy. The tube is staying home and as a first timer, I don't think I want to go any faster than no-wake anywhere on the flowage.

Default Tubing

Despite all of the doom and gloom mentioned so far, I gotta tell 'ya that I've towed waterskiers on TFF (beginning back in the 1960's when the Flowage was MUCH more hazardous than these days), and my daughter has towed tubing kids. It's been nothing but great fun! Lake Bastine is ideal for such activity, and we've both done it right out in front of Fort Flambeau, too. Just don't go too far over to the other side in front of Fort Flambeau and you'll be fine. If you head under the powerlines and over into Lake Bastine, and back, again, you'll have a good time and it'll be no sweat.

Bring your tube along! You can cruise the water and make your own choice. If you don't like what you see, you can leave the tube on the lawn and I would be suprised if you do. The choice should be yours after you see what you have to deal with.

I fully appreciate the concerns expressed so far. I just want you to know that there is definitely another side of the coin. I would NOT hesitate to go watersking or tubing on TFF, especially with the water as high as it is now.

Make your own choice after you see what you're dealing with!

Incidentally, it was Earl Gitzlaff, some years back, who changed the name of Al's Place to Fort Flambeau when he bought the place from Merle Wendt who had bought it from longtime owners Al and Millie Weseman. Merle only owned the place for one year. This was back when Mary Downey had cabins and a small bar across the road from Fort Flambeau (the road is now named Downey Road). Fort Flambeau is now actually a condominium association.

Have fun!