www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: First time to TFF

Cool First time to TFF

Coming up for a Labor Day long weekend. We are bringing two boats: one is a 22' Polarcraft with 115 Outboard, another one is a 19' runabout with an I/O. We'are staying on the west side at what used to be known as Fort Flambeau, not far from Donner's Bay, if I get the location correctly.
    I've been reading this site for a while now and I'm wondering how concerned we should be? Besides fishing, the wifes and the kids are expecting some cruising and tubing. Is that out of the question on the flowage? Is there an area close to our shores where we can pull a tube in circles without having to worry about hitting something?
    I have Navionics mapping chip but I've read here it's not to be trusted. I'd appreciate any heads-up.

Default Tubing?

Just thinking out load, so to speak. Wisconsin has what, about 10,000 lakes, and you want to go tubing on the TFF? Sure, it can be done in the Lake Bastine area, but why? You could vacation at Lake Minocqua, or many other lakes in this area that offer fishing and much safer tubing.

The lake will look much safer than it actually is. I've touched wood in over 18' of water and I know where I'm going as I've been fishing the TFF since 1960. To be honest, I would never tube on the TFF in a million years, and I sure wouldn't drag my kids on a tube anywhere but the Lake Bastine area...and to me, even that is iffy.

Do floaters ever show up in Lake Bastine? I know I rolled over one in the Big Waters last year. It was a log over 15' long and none of us in the boat saw it before I hit it as it was barely touching the surface.

I would agree with Don. When I was a kid, we used to ski up there but for the most part, stuck to the Lake Bastine basin. There used to be a sandy shorline on the west end of Bastine (towards Minnow Lake) that we would take off from. Don't go around the back side of the island and stay well clear of shore.

Also, be very careful with the boats you are running. With nice rigs like that, it'll be hard to keep them going slow. The Flambeau can be down right treacherous. I too have hit stumps in 18'+ of water. And I've been fishing this water for well over 20 years.

For the most part, my crew sticks to smaller outboards here- 14' boats with 35 hp or less. We have larger / faster boats but leave them at home. Take your time, be safe, and have fun!

Thanks, DonH! Fishing is still a primary activity (with me at least) and tubing can be easily substituted for hiking or any other activity that the area has to offer. I'm sure we will find stuff to do - always wanted to explore TFF. I appreciate the warning though, better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Yes--It is just to dangerous out there for larger boats trying to go at a higher rate of speed----there are floaters and deadheads everywhere. Be carefull---I use a larger boat when out there and just go slowly use your electronics and I make it fine--But I would never try to waterski or tube. Still hit stuff and I KINDA know where I am going----you will still have a great time--awesome scenery and true northwood fishing experience. It's a great place!!

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Default Floaters in Lake Bastine

There are occasional floaters in Lake Bastine, just like any other area of the TFF. Take a slow drive around Lake Bastine to note depths and other potential hazards before you go tubing.

www.flambeauvista.com

Just a note to DonH...Wisconsin professes to have 15,081 lakes. However, 9,037 of these lakes are unnamed and average only roughly four acres in size, leaving only 6,044 that are large enough to be named. OMG...Blue is starting to rub off on me!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Default You're not even close

Blue might be rubbing off on you, but just a little.

He would have given me the acreage of all 15,081 lakes, and listed them largest to smallest (he would rather have listed them alphabetically, but some are unnamed)....(he'll probably have them named soon). Then he would have accompanied that with any appropriate differences in either use or fishing regulations with easy to read maps to launch sites...and that's just the first paragraph!

Thank you all! I guess the tube is staying behind - more room in my boat for the stuff that matters!

There was a guy waterskiing on Lake Bastine last Saturday. I cringed everytime I looked at him. When you get there, you will be glad you left the tube behind and if you truly love to fish, you will be hooked. I'm semi-local, about an hour away. I've only been there about a dozen times now, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the place. I have plenty of lakes closer to me, but I don't want to fish anywhere else. Don't forget your binoculars, there's lots of wildlife to watch.

I was up on the TFF from 7/31 to 8/7 staying at the Cry Of The Loon on Lake Bastine. Everyday there were skiers and tubers out there. You should have no problem. They mostly stayed in the middle of the lake. It's bout 30 feet there. Was 20 feet deep just out from the floting swim platform .

Bad advice to do anything other than fishing in Lake Bastine, or any where else on the flowage. poor judgement by those that were using it for water sports. All you have to do is hit one log that all the rest missed, you will have your reward along with some tears in your ears over the loss. There always are those idiots that won't use common sense . Just bad advise for water sports on the flowage. But have a nice time it is a great place to vacation. Stop in at Donners Bay for bait and gas , great pizzas and the Midway has new once again been able to do float fishing trips on the river. Excellent food their also. Great fish fry.

Smile Bad Idea

I just want to reiterate that's it's a very bad idea. I've been enjoying the flowage for about 25 years so I know my way around pretty well. I damn near ruined my trip a few years back on a rock hump on the outskirts of Lake Bastine. It's surrounded by 25-30 feet of water and shoots up out of nowhere. Plus, with the water levels near full pool and the recent weather activity I'd have to imagine there's floating logs looming around.

As a side note, in college I once saw a guy tubing on snow covered roads behind a pick up truck going about 45 mph. I also saw a friend sitting on top of his car steering with his feet through the moon roof with the cruise control set at 55. Doing something just because somebody else saw them doing the same things is not always a wise idea.

Enjoy your trip!!

Randy

Ski/tubing on bastine is not a big deal. I am 34 and have been doing it since I was 8 yrs old, never a problem. Stay in Bastine and you can go down to fort flambeau. Stay under the 1st ball on the power lines. I think most people on here don't want people to ski/tube because it is disruptive. I wouldn't think twice about it.
    R.I.P. Hiawatha Resort

Smile What??

Stay under the first ball on the power lines???? Are you seriously telling someone to ski or tube from Bastine and go out past the power lines?? If you take it wide out of Bastine towards the power lines that is exactly where that rock hump is located that I mentioned earlier.

What if you're dragging a skier and there's a boat fishing under the first ball on the power lines forcing you to change your course? Go about sixty feet towards the second ball and tell me if you'd like to ski in that area.

Wisconsin has way too many lakes condusive for watersports to even consider it on the flowage. I don't say that because I want to preserve the sanctity of Lake Bastine, I say that because it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigonfish View Post
    Thank you all! I guess the tube is staying behind - more room in my boat for the stuff that matters!
    While there are persons who are willing to take risks that others aren't, and are willing to put your property and health/lives at risk, I hope your position does not change from the one above. For the safety of the person at the end of the tow rope, let alone the persons in the boat who have something to absorb the impact of a log/boulder, its the best decision!!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Stay under the first ball on the power lines???? Are you seriously telling someone to ski or tube from Bastine and go out past the power lines?? If you take it wide out of Bastine towards the power lines that is exactly where that rock hump is located that I mentioned earlier.

What if you're dragging a skier and there's a boat fishing under the first ball on the power lines forcing you to change your course? Go about sixty feet towards the second ball and tell me if you'd like to ski in that area.

Wisconsin has way too many lakes condusive for watersports to even consider it on the flowage. I don't say that because I want to preserve the sanctity of Lake Bastine, I say that because it's true.
    Randy I am saying to stay closer towards shore when turning towards Ft Flambeau. I am well aware of the rock pile straight out from Hiawatha and Lake view intersection. Being under the first ball would keep you close to shore.
    R.I.P. Hiawatha Resort

Cool Poor Subject, Water sports

Every time this subject is discussed there is always some one that thinks water sports on the flowage is OK. That in itself is an impossible discussion. I think the person who would want to open a discussion that they do it all the time is not telling the truth. Most intelegent people would not tempt fate on the flowage.I am not trying to be rude but If sledgehead does water sports on the flowage, it appears as though he may have hit the rock pile more than once. Do not do water sports on the flowage, just a real bad idea.

I appreciate the warnings and I'm getting the point. It's just not worth the risk or a controversy. The tube is staying home and as a first timer, I don't think I want to go any faster than no-wake anywhere on the flowage.

Default Tubing

Despite all of the doom and gloom mentioned so far, I gotta tell 'ya that I've towed waterskiers on TFF (beginning back in the 1960's when the Flowage was MUCH more hazardous than these days), and my daughter has towed tubing kids. It's been nothing but great fun! Lake Bastine is ideal for such activity, and we've both done it right out in front of Fort Flambeau, too. Just don't go too far over to the other side in front of Fort Flambeau and you'll be fine. If you head under the powerlines and over into Lake Bastine, and back, again, you'll have a good time and it'll be no sweat.

Bring your tube along! You can cruise the water and make your own choice. If you don't like what you see, you can leave the tube on the lawn and I would be suprised if you do. The choice should be yours after you see what you have to deal with.

I fully appreciate the concerns expressed so far. I just want you to know that there is definitely another side of the coin. I would NOT hesitate to go watersking or tubing on TFF, especially with the water as high as it is now.

Make your own choice after you see what you're dealing with!

Incidentally, it was Earl Gitzlaff, some years back, who changed the name of Al's Place to Fort Flambeau when he bought the place from Merle Wendt who had bought it from longtime owners Al and Millie Weseman. Merle only owned the place for one year. This was back when Mary Downey had cabins and a small bar across the road from Fort Flambeau (the road is now named Downey Road). Fort Flambeau is now actually a condominium association.

Have fun!