www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Boat suggestions

Default Boat suggestions

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I am looking for opinions and suggestions on boats. I know most of the you that fish up in this area also travel to other areas and states to fish so the lakes you fish on range greatly.

I have personally owned two boats before. My first boat was a Champion 16'8" bass boat which I loved but I sold it because it was getting worn and I moved up to a pleasure boat and used my dads StarCraft for fishing. The Champion handled very well on rough water and saved my life in extremely rough water in Canada. The other boat was a Small Cabin cruiser that I was not happy with the way it handled on much more than a once foot wave let alone 6 footers on lake Michigan.

I am looking for an aluminum deep V fishing boat. My original thought was a single console so room is maximixed. However I am not completely against a dual console or walk through in a bigger boat 18" or bigger if the Dual console or walkthough doesn't cramp the fishing space like it does on my dads 16 footer.

A walk through would allow us to use the boat for more than fishing and enjoy it more for that use. I will also be using it for pulling a tube or skiiing but mostly for fishing.

I will have a 14" aluminum row boat with a 9.9 outboard on it for the smaller lakes where I can't use a bigger boat.

I have looked at Crestliner, Mirro Craft, Smoker Craft, Aluma Craft and Tracker boats. Salesman can blow smoke up my you know what all day about their boats and the others so I am looking for input from those who have used them.

I am also looking for input on motors. I haven't purchased a boat since 1989 and am not up on the new updates on the boats or motors. The last time I purchased a boat four stroke engines were only in cars.

Any suggestions or comments you have will be appreciated. If you would rather send a private message instead of posting that is fine.

I appreciate you help.

Thanks Gerry

Gerry, I have a Creastliner 1750 Fishhawk with a 115 hp Yamaha four stroke and have been vere happy with it. I have never had the boat on any of the great lakes yet, but I have a buddy with the same boat and 115 Merc that fishes the big water all the time with no issues. In this economy you should be able to cut a good deal on whatever brand you decide on. Good luck and the best of luck to you in your new Purchase.

Anyone else have anything to say about their boat? I have kind of narrowed it down to the Crestliner or Alumacraft but that doesn't mean my mind won't chance before I buy one. I really appreciate any and all input on this. Buying a boat isn't a small purchase so input from current or previous owners is appreciated.

Gerry