www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bow Mount "driving" lights??

Default Bow Mount "driving" lights??

I was kicking around mounting some HID lights to the bow area of my boat for driving at night. I currently shut down all but the nav lights and let my eyes adjust to the dark. Although I've never had an accident yet, I get a bit nervous. Not so much on the lakes, but on the rivers.
    I was poking around the WWW and came across several discussions where it was brought up that using "deck lights" to drive is illegal in most states because it blinds the other drivers?! Maybe I should try that driving home tonight and see how it works
    I was wondering if any of you guys have looked into this and what you came up with.

probably not worse than nighttime bowfisherman with halogens. That is legal.

Alright... I had to look it up myself. Read on if you're curious...
    Taken from PAFBC Boating Handbook Chapter 4-

NIGHT OPERATION AND LIGHTS
    All vessels must show required running lights between the hours of sunset and sunrise and during periods of restricted visibility, such as fog and heavy rain. A sailboat operating under power and sail must display the proper running lights for a power-boat. Navigation lights are restricted to the colors red, green and white. No lights of any type except for the required navigation lights may be dis-played. Navigation lights are designed to identify the type of boat and its situation (underway, direction of travel, at anchor, etc.) on the water. Boats underway include drifting boats. Night boaters should carry spare bulbs, fuses, batteries, and a flashlight.

1. I think this is a dumb rule. The risk of running into something while driving without lights is greater than the risk of another boater not being able to see my navigation lights and running into my boat (while burning two HID lights). I'm assuming the "white" is the stern light.

2. I've never seen it spelled "dis-played" before. What's up with that?

I know exactly what you mean. I have also thought about mounting a bright light for running the river. For now I use a 150 lumens head lamp. I was thinking a remote spot. I see barges on the lower sections of the river using spot lights all the time. Wouldn't they have to follow after the same laws?

I've tried using my LED headlamp, but that doesn't cut it.
    I'm sure the barges are not held to the same regulations. After all, they could take out a bridge and our boats would just bounce off it.

I guess I'll just use a handheld spot that I can turn on when I start to get that feeling like I'm about to slam into a bridge abutment.

Unless something has changed in unpowered (kayaks ans canoes) only flashing a light is required.
    * Sometimes when a word is at the end of one line of text and too long it is hyphenated rather than moved to the next line. Dis-played