www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Boy Bay or...?

Default Boy Bay or...?

I am planning a trip to Leech Lake/Walker this weekend. I want to spend a half day or so fishing for bass while in the area. I have heard Boy Bay is the best area on the big lake. I have also heard the primary method is slop fishing...which I do not care for. I prefer to fish wacky worms, jigs and spinnerbaits in clear water. Are there opportunities to fish these techniques in the Boy Bay area or is there another area lake (close by) that I should be considering?? If someone who fishes bass in the Leech/Walker area could help with some insight I would be very thankful.

I cant speak for bass fishing on leech as my one and only bass caught there was a fluke jigging for eyes, but I do know of another lake that has great large and small mouth fishing, I take the little ones there when the eyes arent cooperating. Its a lake in Paul Bunyan state forrest. Im not sure of the name and there are alot of lakes in there so I dont know how much help Ill be but if you head north on 200 and go 4-5 miles north of Laport theres a gravle road that runs into the back side of Paul Bunyan Forrest. Once into the park its a bit of a maze, but the lake I refer to would be the second lake you come to on the right. Its very secluded with next to no pressure. last time I was there we were catching 2-3lb smallies almost every cast and the ocassional 5-6lb large mouth. Sorry my directions are so vaiege, maby someone els on here knows what im talking about and can help better.
    Or try google earth and print out a map.

good luck.

Thanks IAGuy. If you knew what road # you were on that would help. There are only a few small lakes in that area of the Paul Bunyan that appear to have boat landings. Would the lake you are talking about be Frontenac or Evergreen? Here is a link to the Minn DNR map. If you enter the city name it will show you the area...it also allows you to zoom in and move the map around. Perhaps if you took a look at it you could remember which one you were on. Thanks.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/comp...32790.27402017

I think Leech is the best bass lake around. There are more 16-18 inch fish in this lake than I've ever seen. If you have some weedless jigs I suggest you find some bullrushes in the morning or early evening and toss jig and pig or you might even use a slip bobber and a minnow or chub. My son uses a swimbait rigged weedless, just twitches it thru the rushes. I use a 6 inch Slammer on my muskie outfit and have caught a lot of bass twitching that. Your first couple casts are the ones that count the most, and just move on down the line to a new area. We have caught the heck out of 3-4 lb bass all week just like this, and gotten broken off a couple times and caught a few while perch fishing with slip bobbers and half a crawler. Couple good spots- the public access at Brevik, and the small inlet/cove just south of the east point at the Bear Island narrows. The south point of Bear is good for bass, as are the floating bogs on the far east side of headquarters. Good Luck!
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

DJ-
    You ever see any pike or muskies up in the bullrushes when you're bass fishing?

I've also caught a lot of nice bass in Agency Bay and see a lot of guys fishing the reeds on the north side of Walker Bay.

By now the perch have gone into the reeds and the big guys always follow. Now last year that didn't happen until after mid August. If you have something like a boogerman or weedless plastic toss that in during lower light and you ought to get hit by something. Do that fig 8 as the muskies here will follow right up to the boat from the reeds. I find that if you have rocks and reeds together that's an unbeatable combo.
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

Bagman, thanks for the link, I took alook and it is Nelson Lake I was reffering to. Its a great place to go if you are looking to get away from the crouds. Infact Ive never seen another boat there while I was fishing. Im no bass fisherman by any stretch but I can never seem to keep them off my line at this lake. You may look into Garfield lake at Laporte also. the entire south end is 3-5 ft and its all lilly pads. If you google Earth it you will see what I mean. My father spends alot of time out there at early morning with Hula poppers and other top water plugs and has a blast, Ive seen him pull in a couple over the years in the 7-8 lb range. Hes no bass fisherman either so im sure if you try either of the places and your an avid bass guy you will do great.
    I have also seen others bring in wall hanger bass from leech but I would have no idea where to point you there.

good luck.

Thanks IA (and everyone else) for your input and shared info. Kinda unsure if I will drag the boat up there this trip...as we are looking at a serious cold front this weekend. If not this weekend...I will certainly be trying it at some point in the near future.