Thanks to Justin and his family for hosting our Sabaskong outing. The service and facilities were phenomenal and the Gaudry family and crew were the perfect hosts. The Canadian Esox Association crew of 8 managed to boat 11 muskies in two days and have quite a few eye popping follows. All of the muskies were caught on points, humps, and reefs. The sizes of the muskies caught were 45, 44, 44, 42, 40, 40, 40, 38, 38, 36.5, & 29. A couple of 40+ muskies were lost at boatside so we can’t count those. If we had another day or two our numbers would have doubled. We were just getting familiar with the area and we had to leave, but we will be back.

I fished barbless the whole time. I got a hook in my leg a few weeks ago and, while lying in the Kenora hospital for 6 hours, I promised the musky that I would fish barbless. The musky told me that I will lose a few if I did that but it would be worth it. Twice, as I had to break from casting to pinch the barbs on the lure, I thought to myself, “I should just fish barbed,” then I told myself, “No, you promised the musky that you would pinch your barbs.” Both times I ended up catching a musky shortly after…spooky. I have fished barbless my whole life in Manitoba (where it is the law) but the 40 inch pike that I caught at the Bus Stop on the way down to Mylies, followed by the four muskies that I caught, were the first of my fishing barbless in Ontario catches. I only lost one boat side but that happens with barbed hooks too.

The trip down was a great experience. A group of us boated down from Shoal Lake. The weather was perfect for travel there and back. What an awesome trip. I would love to do it again…soon.

Here is a breakdown of distance from Mylies to Shoal, travelling an average of 34 mph.

Mylies to Boomstick 10 min…8.3 miles - 13.3 kilometres

Mylies to Naongashing 25 minutes – 15 miles - 24.1 kilometres

Mylies to East Long 35 minutes – 19.3 miles – 31 kilometres

McPherson to Bishop Bay (Bishop Light) 25 minutes – 15 miles - 24.1 kilometres

Mylies to Big Narrows Lodge 47 miles - 75.6 kilometres

Big Narrows to Shoal Lake 38.89 miles – 62.5 kilometres

Mylies to Shoal Lake (85.89 miles – 138.26 kilometres) (18.76 US gallons – 71 litres)