www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report July 27, 2010

Summers: Lake Mille Lacs, Mn, Winters: Lockport, IL

Default Fishing Report July 27, 2010

Lake Conditions: Surface Water temps 74-76 degrees, Algae Bloom still occuring in shallow parts of lake on South and East sides. Water clearity: Good visibility to 4-6 feet.

Fishing between stroms has been good. Average size of fish has been impressive around the 3 3/4-4pound average. Lots of food still exists on the rock reefs for fish to dine. Clouds of young of year all over the rocks, and it seems like a banner year for crayfish. Many of the fish we're catching are coughing up crawdads and minnows. Fish are being taken on mostly soft plastics and some on top. Shannon Jacobson and a friend were out last week and caught several nice fish on plastics....he lost a nice fish on a black topwater.

Dont forget a great pair of sunglasses like the Ocean Wave bandanda will put fish in the boat. Try your luck in winning a gift certificate for a pair of the Worlds Best Sunglass....see my web site home page for details

August should be a great month for numbers and size of fish....remember...if you dont chase em....you wont catch em.
    Jim DaRosa
    Jim DaRosa's Smallmouth Bass Guide Service

Web Site: http://www.FishSmallmouthBass.com

Co Host Fishing and Outdoor Radio Show
    Web Site: http://www.FishingandOutdoorRadio.com

"If man concentrated on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles and duck decoys."

Default New to smallies

Jim,

I appreciate your expertise and experience with smallies on Mille Lacs and your willingness to offer tips to others. I mostly fish largemouth in the metro area, but tried Mille Lacs briefly with my two oldest boys last week for a couple hours. My son, Joe, ended up catching a 19 1/2-inch smallie, and we caught three total along the west shore just south of Garrison. He wants to go back, which we will try to do next week. I'd love some more tips from you. He caught his fish on a tube jig in about 8-10 feet of water, based on the recommendation from the guy at Tutt's. Is that what you use? Are there other areas in the lake that are better than the west shore? Does time of day matter? How about sunny vs. cloudy weather? Do all or most of the rock reefs hold good numbers of smallies? Is it just a matter of fishing your way around them? I'd greatly appreciate more tips. Thanks!

Dave

Summers: Lake Mille Lacs, Mn, Winters: Lockport, IL

Default New to Mille lacs

Dave, Sounds like you're off to a good start on Mille Lacs....a 19 1/2 incher is a great fish. As far as baits...yes I use alot of tubes and soft plastics. See my most recent fishing report on this forum. I concentrate my fishing efforts on the west, nortwest and southern end of the lake....Its not uncommon for me to trailer my righ to the calms side of the lake to do my fishing. Tip...get a Lakemaster Lake Map....there the best in my mind.

As far as my prefered fishing day....I love blue bird skys with full sun to fish smallmouth....makes it lots easier to spot structure and even fish. A early start to your fishing day will get you both low light,calm waters conditions. After the sun gets up after 9-10sh the rocks come alive. Of course my Ocean Waves sunglasses cut the glare in the water better than any sunglass that Ive worn....Ocean Waves sunglassess account for many fish put in the boat for me and my clients.
    Hope this helps
    good luck
    Last edited by Jim DaRosa; 08-07-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Jim DaRosa
    Jim DaRosa's Smallmouth Bass Guide Service

Web Site: http://www.FishSmallmouthBass.com

Co Host Fishing and Outdoor Radio Show
    Web Site: http://www.FishingandOutdoorRadio.com

"If man concentrated on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles and duck decoys."