www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Small mouth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
    What is considered a large smallie caught in TTF. My son caught a 19 inch smallie that i considered a good size fish when we took it in to get mounted the guy said it was Avg size for the Flowage.. I have caught a number of 16 inch footballs out of the Flowage and was kinda shocked to here it was just Avg.

Hi, I live on the Flambeau river and fish for smallies all the time, pay no attention to him as a 19 inch fish is a trophy fish period. 20 inches is a hard nut to crack... They are in there as the other guy posted and I believe the 1% figure is on the money. Enjoy the mount. Joe

Default small mouth

I will post some pics of the fish in question. I caught a couple that ranged from 14-16 inches and had bigger girth then the 19 my son caught. Yes I did take it to another guy out of Lac du Flambau I didnt mention my son is 12 and I told him fish dont come along like that many times in your life so really cherrish the moment. We are gonna be back up in another week or two he told me get ready to get schooled.

I have been fishing the great lakes for smallmouth--Michigan, Erie and Superior for the last few years. Have fished with guides and friends familiar with these waters. We have caught many Large smallmouth--Including several over 20" and 6 lbs----But I will tell you-- even fishing these known large smallmouth waters---a fish of 19" and larger is a BIG SMALLMOUTH. Up to the 17-18 inch fish you see fairly often--I mean we catch several this size everday we are out there---BUT 19" and above---They are just not there in any numbers. YES a 19 incher is a trophy and worthy of a place on the wall. Nice Job and those TFF fish are super thick!!!

Default Smallie mount

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Mouth.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	11003

Here is the mount of the fish in question

Unhappy

congrats on a beautiful fish. I have only caught 1 smallie over 20" in 15 years of seriously pursuing them. Lots of trips to the flowage in there too. my 20.5" fish came from the St Croix River back in 2003. I was with a guide buddy of mine who carefully measured it. neither one of us had a camera or camera phone. I often wished I would have put that fish on the wall. it was a true trophy. I have said for 7 years that then next 20" will go on wall. i am still waiting. best fish for me this year is a 18" on opening weekend. haven't came close since.