www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Small mouth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Small mouth

What is considered a large smallie caught in TTF. My son caught a 19 inch smallie that i considered a good size fish when we took it in to get mounted the guy said it was Avg size for the Flowage.. I have caught a number of 16 inch footballs out of the Flowage and was kinda shocked to here it was just Avg.

Default Average!!!

True, the flowage does have some tremendous smallmouth bass, but to refer to a 19" as average is ludicrous. I'm waiting to catch a 20" to get a replica mount made, and I haven't caught that one yet. I had her on and saw her several times, but couldn't get her close enough to net. It was a blast but in the end, using an ultarlight cost me that fish. I couldn't control her, the fight lasted too long and she eventually just threw the hook. She hit on a leech under a slip bobber.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess a 20" on the TFF is on the rare side which makes a 19" one heck of a fish.

Default Another mastermind

It never fails.... you catch a truly big fish (which you did), or shoot a nice buck, and here he comes with an opinion nobody asked for - the "master" outdoorsman. These doufus's never fail to belittle, and they never fail to elevate themselves with the next breath. I have caught one 20" smallie on the flowage....... one. I don't think I have ever caught a 19", and have caught several heavy 18" fish all of which are trophies in my eye. Your fish is a trophy, congratulations!

Default Agreed.

I manage to spend about 20 days on the TFF every May fishing almost exclusively for smallmouth, and over the course of the month I'll typically catch and release 300-400 fish depending on the weather conditions, especially for the first couple weekends which can range from surprisingly productive to a complete waste of time. Overall, if you take the time to accurately measure them, the average is right around 14", although that varies significantly in different areas of the Flowage. While fish in the 17-18" range are pretty common, only about 1% will be 19" or larger. For the average angler who gets up there once or twice a season, that definitely qualifies as a trophy in my book. I've caught two over 20" in 16 years, and I've seen a picture of one 21" whopper that came from someone I trust.

It seems like really poor business sense for a taxidermist, of all people, to make that kind of remark.

I bet the taxidermist wasn't local. Probably didn't really know the TFF very well, but maybe heard it produced some big smallies. However, it's odd that a taxidermist would "belittle" a customer's fish, seems like bad business sense...

smallieman:

I hope you are having a different taxidermist do the work for your TROPHY SMALLIE from the TFF!!! I have never fished specifically for SMB up there but the folks who have chimed in have been doing it for a long time. It seems that any time this conversation (reference the same people come to the rescue) comes up the 20" mark is the mark that is most highly coveted. Use a different taxidermist and congrats!!!

Mark

Default Average lunker?

Nice fish!
    I suppose it is possible that a taxidermist might consider 19" average, since that may be all he ever sees? Who would mount a 14" fish?

Anyway, if 14" is average would an 18" size limit move that average up an inch or two? A 14" is a nice fish and fun to catch, but when they break the 15" size and head toward 17" or 18" it is a whole different fight. For me every 15" fish eaten lowers the chance for everyone at a 20" plus someday.

Quote Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
    What is considered a large smallie caught in TTF. My son caught a 19 inch smallie that i considered a good size fish when we took it in to get mounted the guy said it was Avg size for the Flowage.. I have caught a number of 16 inch footballs out of the Flowage and was kinda shocked to here it was just Avg.
    I've been coming up to the mercer area for 23 years and have caught only 2 20 inch smallies and one was this year in june. We have caught several 19 inchers but mostly 16 to 18 inchers.The guy who told you your fish was just average was probably jealous. I have a friend like that. If he doesnt catch a bigger fish then the rest of us its just average or luck. My good friend lives in mercer and use to own a bar in town and he has told me he hasnt caught very many 20 inches. I think there are bigger ones in the flowage but finding them and catching them is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by smallieman View Post

Hi, I live on the Flambeau river and fish for smallies all the time, pay no attention to him as a 19 inch fish is a trophy fish period. 20 inches is a hard nut to crack... They are in there as the other guy posted and I believe the 1% figure is on the money. Enjoy the mount. Joe

Default small mouth

I will post some pics of the fish in question. I caught a couple that ranged from 14-16 inches and had bigger girth then the 19 my son caught. Yes I did take it to another guy out of Lac du Flambau I didnt mention my son is 12 and I told him fish dont come along like that many times in your life so really cherrish the moment. We are gonna be back up in another week or two he told me get ready to get schooled.

I have been fishing the great lakes for smallmouth--Michigan, Erie and Superior for the last few years. Have fished with guides and friends familiar with these waters. We have caught many Large smallmouth--Including several over 20" and 6 lbs----But I will tell you-- even fishing these known large smallmouth waters---a fish of 19" and larger is a BIG SMALLMOUTH. Up to the 17-18 inch fish you see fairly often--I mean we catch several this size everday we are out there---BUT 19" and above---They are just not there in any numbers. YES a 19 incher is a trophy and worthy of a place on the wall. Nice Job and those TFF fish are super thick!!!

Default Smallie mount

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Mouth.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	11003

Here is the mount of the fish in question

Unhappy

congrats on a beautiful fish. I have only caught 1 smallie over 20" in 15 years of seriously pursuing them. Lots of trips to the flowage in there too. my 20.5" fish came from the St Croix River back in 2003. I was with a guide buddy of mine who carefully measured it. neither one of us had a camera or camera phone. I often wished I would have put that fish on the wall. it was a true trophy. I have said for 7 years that then next 20" will go on wall. i am still waiting. best fish for me this year is a 18" on opening weekend. haven't came close since.

Default TFF Smallie

Here is a Smallie that I caught the day before the storm hit.

http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/p...=2&pictureid=2

PIG!

(not you.... but the fish )
    Andrew

Default smallie

That is a nice smallmouth. I don't fish for them on the flowage but catch them while fishing for walleye or musky and have only caught 1 that was 19 inches. In defense of the taxidermist maybe what he meant was a 19 incher is the average size that gets mounted??? I am sure you and your son are proud to be able to show off a smallie that big, congrats.

holy smokes Lund1700 that is a pig.