www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Escanaba river

Cool Escanaba river

Anyone doing any good caughting walleyes on the river? Havent had much luck this year. I went out lastnight and caught a bunch of smallies and a few northerns all over down stream from the dam. Not sure the dam number but its the one on your left when heading to gladstone from esky. Might try again tonight and stay into the dark hours and see if they come out then.

I've caught a few undersize ones in the river this year...then again, I'm usually not fishing at the optimum time (middle of the day) and not necessarily targeting walleyes.

Any size to the smallies you're catching?

Default Esky River

We are targeting smallies and walleyes in the river when the wind is up and one day got 25 walleye but only 1 being a keeper and 2 small mouth only 1 being 16 1/2 inches. Then the next morning headed to the same spot and it's like someone through poison in the water, didn't get a hit. REAL weird. oh well good luck to you's all

Cool Bass

Well tried fishing into the dark night hours and that didnt help me catch any walleye but I did hook up with a ton of bass. The biggest one was 18" and i threw that one back but did take home 1 14.5" and 2 15" smallies. Surprising no northerns tonight tho or sheepshead either. The current was low and water level wasnt too bad, compared to earlier this summer.

I could have had a nice stringer full of...rock bass yesterday. Some big ones, too. But it was fun feeding the rock bass to the "pet" cranes hanging around there (at least I think they're cranes of some sort). The one gulped down an 8" rock bass. I'd reel one in and the bird would land on a log nearest the boat and wait for a handout. Pretty funny.

What's the old saying about teaching a bird, er, a man to fish?

The river is a very underrated fishery around here, I think...there's always some sort of action--and an impressive variety at that.

edit: ...actually, those might be herrons hanging out there.

Cool Yeah!!

Yeah i feed thaT crane alot of rock bass too. I'm really surprised how many he'll eat. I guess they'll eat till they cant fly no more.

Default Henry

His name is Henry. He will eat 8 to 10 rockbass and then Attemp to fly away....

Cool 27th

Went down to the river lastnight hoping the incoming storm would have the fish biting but i was all wrong. Got there around 7pm and didnt get a fish till 9pm. The fish werent really hitting the lures it was more like a tiny tap then quit. After about 10 text messeges from the old lady to come home before a tornada gets me i decided to pack it up. Caught about 2 rocks bass 4 small smallies and 1 15" smallie.

Cool Walleye

Well second cast of today at the river was a 16" walleye on a spinner bait. Yeah that was my first on a spinner. But that was the only keeper for the night. Caught about 7 smallie only one that looked close enough to hit the tape. That one was 13.5" so back to the water it went,good thing im not from wisconsin might have put her on the strecher. lol... couple rock bass and seen one pike that went for the spinner just as i pulled it out of the water. All in All a good 2 hours. Good luck to everyone!! Hope those netters get the chair!! lol Just kidding.....

Cool 8/3/10

Went out from 2pm to 6pm and braught home 2 16" walleyes a 10" crappie and a 15" small mouth. River was running good and the bite was there too.Think a braught home a small sun burn too. Only had 1 other walleye caught that was real small and a dozen or so small smallies. Only 3 rock bass and a small northern. Well good luck and have fun out there,wont be long and back to the ice fishing.

Thanks for the reports, Fonz. I always enjoy them. Keep it up.