www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walleye

Default Walleye

Just wondering if someone could give me a few tips on how to catch some walleyes on leech. We are going to be staying at Northland lodge on the south end of the lake in two weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to use. Also how has the northern bite been, that's usually what we go for.

You are close to some great places to fish like Uram Bay, Miller Bay, Pelican Island, Pipe Island area. If there is a strong south wind you'll find places to get out of it if you wish to. I know guys who find fish at time you are there on the deeper rock points, which you ought to get to, but I think the weed bite gets overlooked. Bait rigs drifted thru cabbage might find some fish. Trolling 12-16 foot parallel to shore with baits like shad raps, etc, during lower light periods is often productive. You might find a bunch of big perch in 6-8 feet near reeds or cabbage. Along the south shore are various rock reefs/sunken piles and many deeper spots. I am sure that the resort you are at will offer lots of insight. Good Luck.
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

Thanks for the info, what do they use for bait, leeches or minnows and if minnows shiners or what? Thanks again

The "rule" has always been minnows in the spring, leeches summer. I use crawlers because they're cheaper and they keep easier, and I think the walleyes aren't fussy when the water warms and their metabolisms are going.
    I don't know if the key is to get thru the smaller perch or that the walleyes get active and the smaller perch get lost. When I start getting hit by small perch I'm looking somewhere else for fish, usually deeper. I know others on here probably have more/better insight on this.
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa