www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: hows fishing?

Default hows fishing?

Heading up the 21st and just wondering how's the fishing has been lately?

Going to be mainly fishing muskies and will probably try for some walleyes, too. Is there any patterns starting to come together, yet. What has the water temps been?

Any info or reports would be great.

Thanks, Jeremy

I was up over the 4th and stayed for a couple of days after...we fished mainly for walleye and musky...never saw a musky on leech until this trip. We had 5 follows one day and 2 the following.

6 of the follows were on a white rad dawg spinner and the other was on a pink double cow girl.

All of the follows were in Portage Bay...also tried the river in Sucker Bay but didnt have any luck there.

Now I'm just starting to get into musky fishing but the river in Sucker Bay looks like a good spot to me. We have caught plenty of big northerns while going after musky at that spot but never spotted a musky.

Anyone have an opinion of muskies in that area?

Chris:

We were up there the 19th through the 24 (my first trip to Leech) and I don't think we gave Portage a fair shake (my partner had fished before) as we were having trouble finding cabbage, but Sucker was decent as we raised two in there, the first being a decent mid 40's class fish...

Mark

Mark -

I agree the cabbage was sparse in Portage and we found much better in Sucker when trolling for walleyes. Unfortunately we didn't give Sucker a fair shake Really only fished for them in the river.

If you dont mind me asking...how deep of water were you fishing in Sucker...our place is actually in Sucker Bay so would rather fish for them there!

Chris:

At that time we were fishing 6'-8' and the cabbage was just showing their tips. My partners first two experiences were during July and while this year seems to be a little ahead... the weeds seem to be closer to their normal growth, so while I wanted to go along in that depth range, he wanted to get a little deeper based on his prior experience. There were perhaps weeds, but once we were in 10' it was difficult to even see weeds 4-5' down. At the time, cranks twitched and suicks were working real well, though my brother put on a reef hawg and had two nutso passes including 5 northern and one 40-ish ski that took a solid swipe at it boatside and missed.

Mark

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replies. With leech being so big, its hard to give spots attention they deserve while managing your time wisely.

So the weeds are always a sure bet. Has anybody moved an fish on the rocks consistently, yet? I heard the water temps are in the 73-74 range. I would think they should be moving everywhere pretty consistently by now.

Keep the reports coming both for walleye and muskie.

Thanks Jeremy

I was up all last week and spent 3 of my days hunting for skis. As far as rocks I moved one fish at submarine Island but soon after I had 8 other boats join me and it got pretty crowded. I moved a couple fish two days in a row and landed one the third in 10-12' of water with good cabbage in the bowl between first and second point in walker bay. I fished two points alot in Portage with no luck. I had the best luck with a black and orange dancing girl.

the walleye fishing was on the slow side for me but I managed to find the best results in shollow weeds and cabbage. 5-8' jiggeing an 1/8 jig with crappie minnows. I couldnt find a walleye on the rocks all week.

good luck