Most of the rods I have are Thorne Bros. customs, built on St. Croix Avid or Legend blanks. These rods are the absolute best that money can buy, but it takes a lot of money to buy. I like the rod to be 9' or longer, and have a long handle, about 17 inches. The long handle provides maximum leverage when casting and also when moving the lure through the figure-8.

I look for the same features in the lower-priced 9-footers. I have Okuma 9'3"H and 9'3"XH. I agree with Danno that the XH is a fine all-around rod and will throw everything except a Pounder. I have heard some say they didn't think that rod loaded enough when casting lures like double-10s or lighter. I haven't had a problem and I think the XH is the better all-around rod, especially if you throw alot of big plastics and heavier lures like I do. If you were mostly throwing double-10s or other lighter lures the H would probably be a better choice. I also have a Tackle Industries Super Heavy for throwing Pounders, but I haven't used it yet. I looks very well made and has an adjustable handle which is really long when fully extended; I like the long handle, and it's especially important when throwing heavy lures like Pounders. A couple weeks ago I used a Hulbert rod that a guest brought along. The rod blank loaded and casted nicely, but the grip was too short for my liking and it was thick and chunky feeling in hand. That isn't a real criticism of the rod, just a reflection of personal preference.

To answer you question directly, get a 9'3" XH of you throw a lot of blades and plastics. Get the 9'3" H if you throw blades or lighter.