www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Get a 9-foot rod

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Default Get a 9-foot rod

There are still alot of folks out there that haven't started using a long rod yet. Time and time again, folks who are still fishing with the old-school 7 1/2' rod will use my rods for a day and marvel and how much better it is. I'll often get an e-mail from the client a week or two later, telling me about the recent purchase of a 9-foot rod. Or, folks will fish with me again the following season and they'll have new rods.

The longer rod makes casting nearly effortless and the extra length is an incredible benefit on the figure-8. When the lure reaches boatside, the longer rods helps carve out a big figure-8 with wide, sweeping turns, and eliminates the need to bend or stoop. A long rod is also a better tool for battling fish, as the added length will help to "stear" the fish, and it's a better shock absorber when the fish is running, jumping or head-shaking. Best though, the longer rod will keep you fresher throughout the day, it'll make your fishing more enjoyable, and it will help you convert more follows into strikes.

Skip the 8' or 8 1/2' and go right to a rod that is 9 feet or longer. When I got my first 8 footer I thought it was the greatest rod ever. Then I got an 8 1/2' and it was remarkably better and I never wanted to use the 8-footer again. Then I got a 9' and never wanted to use the 8 1/2 footers. So, don't make the same mistake I did and inch your way to the 9-footers; skip the intermediate lengths and get a rod that's 9' or longer.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Totally agree. Picked up a 9-1/2 foot predator last year and love it. This year took Pauls advice and tryed the okuma evx series 9'-3" x heavy and i am so far thoroughly impressed.With being a fairly tall guy i cant tell you how much it helps with figure 8's. Also fished with a guy that has one of the new 10 foot musky innovations rod, and while i didnt get to test drive it, he says he loves it. How long is long enough? Who knows i think the only limitation is the space you have in your boat. Another reason i like the Okuma. Telescopes into the butt section to fit in the short deck rod locker on my 621. And no im not on Okumas staff, its just a helluva buy at 114 bucks!
    See ya in november Paul.
    Dan

Paul I know you use Thorne Bro. customs that cost an arm and a leg, and maybe more. In the price range for people that don't fish all the time, you've mentioned the Okumas. Which one? Have you used any of the other affordable 9 feet rods like the Tackle Industries or Musky Armor or others?

Danno, what are you throwing with the XH?

Backlasher,

There isnt a thing you cant throw with that 9'3 XH in my eyes right up to pounders. I have used them for Mags, pounders and blades and it is a great all purpose rod for the buck.

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Most of the rods I have are Thorne Bros. customs, built on St. Croix Avid or Legend blanks. These rods are the absolute best that money can buy, but it takes a lot of money to buy. I like the rod to be 9' or longer, and have a long handle, about 17 inches. The long handle provides maximum leverage when casting and also when moving the lure through the figure-8.

I look for the same features in the lower-priced 9-footers. I have Okuma 9'3"H and 9'3"XH. I agree with Danno that the XH is a fine all-around rod and will throw everything except a Pounder. I have heard some say they didn't think that rod loaded enough when casting lures like double-10s or lighter. I haven't had a problem and I think the XH is the better all-around rod, especially if you throw alot of big plastics and heavier lures like I do. If you were mostly throwing double-10s or other lighter lures the H would probably be a better choice. I also have a Tackle Industries Super Heavy for throwing Pounders, but I haven't used it yet. I looks very well made and has an adjustable handle which is really long when fully extended; I like the long handle, and it's especially important when throwing heavy lures like Pounders. A couple weeks ago I used a Hulbert rod that a guest brought along. The rod blank loaded and casted nicely, but the grip was too short for my liking and it was thick and chunky feeling in hand. That isn't a real criticism of the rod, just a reflection of personal preference.

To answer you question directly, get a 9'3" XH of you throw a lot of blades and plastics. Get the 9'3" H if you throw blades or lighter.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com