www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walleye fishing Big St.Germain

Default Walleye fishing Big St.Germain

looking on some information on spots to fish for walleyes and tactics. I have been fishing the underwater islands at down at dusk with lindy rigs with limited luck.

try using some slip bobbers with leeches and/or just a split shot and hook with a nightcrawler....walleye activity has definitely slowed a bit with the warm water temps, so don't feel bad.

Good Luck!
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

thanks for the help

Do you think that I should fish weed structure or underwater islands and rocks points. I heard that walleye will live full time in the weeds in lake that are heavily fished and stocked heavily, do think that this holds true on Big St. Germain.

mt.:

Rob may not see this to respond, so I will take a crack at it. Unfortunately you are going to have to try all three right now. I know some guys are doing better on the weeds than they are in the main lake structures. If you can find some main lakes structures that have some sand grass on them that may be helpful. So I guess that I have pointed you to try some type of weed first. I fished main lake bars last week with my brother (different lake) and we eventually found fish relating to shoreline structure. Don't spend a lot of time in one place until you find something that responds to your presentation. And don't be afraid to try some main lake stuff. I know that the walleye fishing has been a tough sled for a lot of peeps right now.

Mark

thanks for the help

I would start using some crayfish imitators. Jig and brown plastic as I'm catching some decent eyes on just jig and plastics on a clear lake nearby. Crayfish will be near rock weed areas. Smallies are a bonus. Orange jig and leeches or crawlers should also work. Pop the jig and twister to imitate a crayfish escaping.

Thanks, ya I caught a ton of smallies and and few walleye on a shallow rock bar using leaches but maybe i should try crayfish.

mt:

Just remember that using crawfish as live bait is illegal. There may some instances where in the state you can use them (i.e. Miss. River, etc) but most, if not all inland waters are prohibited. This a result of the rusty crawfish. There may be some places that allow bait taken from the same water, but I would check into that before using.

Mark

Don't use crayfish, use power grubs or gulp on a black jig head for the twister combo or a jig and leech or crawler. Some lakes the smallies are going for leeches while others they will hit crawlers better. I would concentrate on bass now as you may be disappointed with the walleyes unless you know the lake very well. Check in with Ray at Ray's landing. He is ordering some of the grubs that I have been doing well with but always have an assortment of live bait.