www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: A Quick Survey: The Most Dangerous Water Level on the TFF

Default A Quick Survey: The Most Dangerous Water Level on the TFF

In my opinion the most dangerous water level on TFF is 1.5 to 2 feet below full Pool. After it drops below 2.5 feet, many of the ominous "prop demons" start to show themselves. Just curious to hear what the rest of you think about this....
    "Try not! Do, or do not....there is no try."

For those who havn't seen the flowage lower than 2.5 feet, I guess that would be the case.
    I fish the lake quite often in October (3.0 to 4.0 feet below full pool), and I would say that to me, this would be the most dangerous water levels.
    I know of some reliable routes around the lake and have yet to hit anything except durring those low water times. Just my opinion though.

Will hopefully be up this weekend for some musky action,
    Wish me luck
    Chris

I don't think 3-4 feet down is the most dangerous. Yes it is bad, but in Sept. of 2007 when it got 5 feet down, I discovered whole new forests of stumps that I never knew I was running over! I guess it depends on the area.

Default Dangerous Water Levels

I've been fishing the Flowage since 1956 and 99% of the visible wood at full pond has been removed or has sunk. When I started the wood was either vertical, leaning or sawed off stumps at various water levels. As time past, ice would continue to knock down the vertical wood and move loosened wood and leaners to different locations and occasionally relocates wood even today. In the early 60's, when the water levels would rise, it would be nothing to have floaters every 20-40 yards. People removing drift wood have ruduced the number and size of log jams by 80%. Having said all of this, the most dangerous wood to boaters are the vertical stumps. Those which remain anchored in the bottom and have been cut-off at various heights. The leaners have a tendency to show them selves by rising and droppimg with the water levels. In the Fall however, after the water temps drop to 40 or less they become more dense and drop below the surface.

For the person new to the Flowage it is best to be very cautious until one has had the opportunity to travel in low water. I feel that the most dangerous level for me is when the water level is below 4 feet. There are stumps under the water that I have rarely or not seen at all and I'm very cautious. When drifting, I have bumped up against old vertical wood in 23 feet of water.

I have a Hummin Bird 788c with the Wisconsin Lake chip in it that shows the contour lines at one foot intervals. This year is my first year with it. I found out how little I know about the twists and turns of the old river and creek beds and how quickly one can be on an old bank where trees had stood. When running the Flowage I still rely most on what I know from experience, however the navigation tool on the fish finder is a real aid in continuing to learn what's under me. It is also invaluable when running at night.

Bottom line is, how much time have you spent on the Flowage and do you "know" that your route is safe from experience. If not, be careful and run slower.

Default Stumps

Hello Rockin Chair .. I remember a few of the stumps used to have Bird Nests in them !! Also , you mentioned about stumps in 23 feet of water ( When drifting, I have bumped up against old vertical wood in 23 feet of water ) .. may I ask where these were at ?

Thank you ..

Default Water Levels

Two places actually, both north of the dam. The one that I touched just 6 weeks ago was almost right in the old river channel. The channel actually starts along side of the dike north of the dam and at about 50 yards makes a 90+ degree right. As you approach the opposite shore it makes a sharp 90 to the left and the stump I touched was just on the east side of the channel. The second one was near the 25 foot hole half way between the next rocky point and the narrows. At this point you're traveling almost due west and it's off your left at the edge of the channel. At full pond and down to 2 1/2 feet low you won't touch them.

I agree with Lund Angler. The 1.5 to 2.0 ft. below full pool is the most dangerous. Of course you don't want to hit anything, but most of the stumps you contact are pretty rotten and, in my experience, not terribly tragic. Of course this doesn't consider the speed factor. Hit anything going fast enough and your gonna do some damage. Having said that, the real prop demons as Lund calls them, are the rocks that lurk just below the surface at this pool level. Those are the prop buster/lower unit removers. Trust me...I speak from extensive experience here. And they are even worse when there's no wind. At least if the wind is blowing you might be able to see the splash as the waves break over them, but when it's like glass, by the time you see them, it too late. Like I've said before on this board...When in doubt, idle through and enjoy the view.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.