www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Good Rain Suits

Default Good Rain Suits

I have fully tested two different rain suits this spring while fishing in heavy rain. Both are the usual Columbia or Feild and Stream type common brands you see at Dicks sporting goods that run about $100-$150 on sale. In a light to medium on and off rain they are comfortable and usually work. This year I got soaked to the bone in two different long down pours while jigging for walleyes. Think I need to invest in a very good set of Bibs and parka style suit???????? What specific suggestions do you guys have. I want to layer clothes and the suit since we do fish in canada also and the weather shifts all during the day. I have seen several Canada locals that wear a solid red bibs. Any advice or experience that can be shared about a great suit will be apprecitated before I invest $350.00 into a suit. Thanks

I just bought the Ice Armor suit made by Clam. I fished Winnebago a couple of weeks ago, and got hit by cool weather with rain and wind. Pretty nasty couple of days, and it kept me dry and warm. Not sure how it will hold up against a total downpour yet. I bought it after returning the guidewear that I bought from Cabelas. Hated the zippers on the jacket, and the zipper on the bibs failed.

Found the Ice Armor at reeds sporting goods for $180. (normally $250) http://www.reedssports.com/Product/p...D=7064&pc=1621

Gortex, without a doubt. I have been in some pretty intense downpours for long hours and my Gortex has always held up well. Keeps you dry, breathable, and also works as a pretty good wind stopper. I have Cabelas brand Gortex and it seems to hold up well and has always kept me dry.

Default Gander Mountain

I have fished in the rain for two years in a row in the Gander Mountain Guide series and stayed dry. Our group has four guys that wear them.

Helly Hanson rain gear is great. I need a new pair though because mine is wore out.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Default rain suits

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisRip View Post
    I have fully tested two different rain suits this spring while fishing in heavy rain. Both are the usual Columbia or Feild and Stream type common brands you see at Dicks sporting goods that run about $100-$150 on sale. In a light to medium on and off rain they are comfortable and usually work. This year I got soaked to the bone in two different long down pours while jigging for walleyes. Think I need to invest in a very good set of Bibs and parka style suit???????? What specific suggestions do you guys have. I want to layer clothes and the suit since we do fish in canada also and the weather shifts all during the day. I have seen several Canada locals that wear a solid red bibs. Any advice or experience that can be shared about a great suit will be apprecitated before I invest $350.00 into a suit. Thanks
    I purchased a set of Gander Guide Series bibs and coat several years ago. I believe I paid about $180.00 for the set. I've used them in canada for about 7 years as well as here in wisconsin. They have never leaked and can be used in very cold weather with layering as well as in summer time conditions. I've had other rain gear that has worn out quickly or never worked. I would highly recommend these for the price and durability.

Default rain gear

I've used the gander guide series bib's/coat for several years. You can't beat them for the price and durability. I've fished in canada with them in 30 degree temps and rain and have gotten wet or cold

I've used the Cabelas guide series in absolutely terrible weather and it has kept me dry and warm. The zippers definitely need to break in a bit, but I haven't had any real issues.

I use the Carhart rain gear from Farm and Fleet - only waterproof stuff that actually works for bibs and jacket about $100 - the other stuff is over priced, Carhart rain gear is similar to the helly hansen which I also used for along time - stick with those 2

jacket
    http://www.bluecollarworkwear.com/ca...h-Hood-C64GRN/

bibs
    http://www.bluecollarworkwear.com/ca...ar-Bib-R39GRN/

you wont get wet

Last year it poured in Canada during my fishing trip. I used Cabela's Gortex Guidwear and stayed warm and dry. Like someone else mentioned, the zipper needs to get broken in, mine actually ripped a little. Bought a Bass Pro 100mph jacket for this season, I really like the hood on them. Well see. The only problem I see with all of this stuff is that it's made in China. Not the best quality...

I have the Bass Pro Shop Pro Qualifier set.It's a great suit.

I am a devout Bass Pro raingear guy. The HPR stuff is good for spring/summer but you will get wet in torrential downpours. That is unless you put on the hood and cinch it up around your face. The gore-tex will not allow water thru the suit.

The 100MPH stuff is incredible but expensive. Never had any issue in extreme rain or cold.

Default Rain Gear

I bought the Cabela's Guide Gear Camo Rain parka and bibs 5 years ago and have been absolutely happy with it. I use it for fishing, and well as hunting...in fact, I haven't worn my insulated hunting camo since! I wear layers and am always comfortable...and I sit on top of a windy ridge. Tip on the zippers...I have always used parafin wax on them from day one. All my hunting and fishing zippers get a coat each year. Just take a piece of the wax and run it up and down both sides of the zippers. (Also works good on those sticky cabin windows too!)