www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Landing Skis

Default Landing Skis

Last Saturday I had a very nice fish at the boat - it was close to 50 if not over. I was fishing solo and had the net ready. Had it boatside took a deep run ripping out drag and i then brought it back to the boat. Did another shake facing away I pulled and the bait was out. (GhostTail so I knew it was hooked well) Talk about a sick feeling - anyone have an opinion on handling big fish when out by yourself?? In hind sight probally horsed it to hard after the intial dive but I was thinking its so close better get now.............

That's one of the downsides of fishing by yourself. I've caught some big fish by myself and none of them have gone really smooth. The best advice I could give is to hang the net bag over the edge of the boat so you are ready. Other than that, get ready for some bad things to happen.

Sorry to hear of your loss by the way. That stinks!
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I've fished alone quite a bit myself. Not really sure what that says about my friends, or lack there of....

Anyway, I've always got the net ready with the handle extended. Its free of tangles and obstacles. I've also swapped out my old rope cleats for flush mounted ones. They pop up when I need them, but don't get tangled in the net when I am trying to maneuver the bag around the edge of the boat. I also usually end up playing the fish a bit longer. Obviously that will increase your odds of losing that fish, but give you a better shot at getting them in the net once their played out a bit more. When it comes time to net the fish, I try to leave out 6-8 feet of line, and guide the fish into the bag rather than scoop it. I've got a Frabill Power Catch net and its all but impossible to make a good scoop one handed with that thing.

Sorry to hear about that lost fish. Losing a big one always hurts. I've certainly lost my fair share because I was fishing alone too. My least favorite was a 46-47" class fish a few years ago. I was fishing a river and had the fish all but beat. It made one last deep run and ended up going under a log. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get that fish back down under that log. The fish actually came to the surface and just laid there a few times next to the boat. Unfortunately, my line was looped around the log 6-7 feet down then back up to the fish. So when the fish was laying on the surface, it was on the other end of the boat from me, some 15 feet away. Of course every time I tried to get near the thing it would swim just out of reach. This went on for at least 5 minutes before it shook the hooks free....That one hurt.

Thanks fellas - that's why I like this forum its much more interactive than the rest. I think Ty made a great point on keeping the bag over the side and Dale is right on with having to play it out a bit more. I did redeem myself a bit w/ 2 -37's last Fri & Sat and my partner had 42/37/35. (2 on figure 8s) So we had an awesome 2 days up in Hayward. I did loose another good one that was on for a minute then off again.

My drag is always cranked down - do you guys ever loosen it a little if a fish is taking a hard run away from you??

I always keep my drag locked down. If they make a run, I'll thumb the reel. Personal preference I'd guess though.

Thought of one more thing regarding landing fish alone. After I get them in the bag, I'll pop up the rope cleat and hook it near the yoke of the net. Keeps the net in place and the fish in the water while I'm getting the hook out stuff and camera ready.

I use a Calcutta so I don't lock the drag down. The Calcutta has a really good drag that works under a lot of pressure so hooksets are easy. I've seen a few times where a locked down drag has cost us fish and lures.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

It's sad but true, the Calcutta is the best. Their drags are far superior to anything I have ever used. I have always used Ambassador, but sometimes the truth hurts :-)

I always have my drag set tight, with the fish hooked I back off my drag a little when it gets close to the boat, just in case it makes a hard run, I want him to take a little line. I also will use my thumb but won't free spool it. Also, I like to have my rod tip up so if the fish does go, the rod will absorb the pressure instead of the line.

Once the fish is in the bag, I hook part of the net around the cleat. At this point I start cutting hooks. It makes for a faster and safer release. I can always replace hook, you can't replace a damaged fish.

This is just one mans opinion.

silverfox:

or damaged hands!!!

Mark

Mark:

You can say that again.

You really need to go with an approach you are comfortable with and confident in. You dont want to be unsure of or second guess what you are doing when going solo.

I play the fish a little longer, use a bait with as few trebles as possible and hand land. The hooks do the damage so i prioritize single hooks if feasible. Bummer about the big one...only a fish though.

Default drag

I use an Abu-Garcia Record and set the drag to the point I can hardly pull the line off the spool. Believe me...a 39' Musky will rip line off like the drag isn't set. Was in the boat by myself last week and had one like you (not as big). I played it until it turned by itself toward the side of the boat...had the net ready, kept it next to the hull, and lifted her straight into the boat. Had the live well running and put her in for a little bit to help oxigenate her. Got her back in the water and in less than a minute she yanked out of my hand and back to the bar. I don't lock down my drag either....that's what they are for.

I fish alone 90 % of the time and Ty is right about trouble waiting to happen epecially on big fish. In the past 3 weeks I caught 7 muskies on my first 7 hits and was able to get them all. Then I hit the streak of losing 4 out of 5; sometimes they just get off but I know I lost 1 because of lock down drag that hit next to the boat and went right for the motor; result bent hook and lost fish. I should switch to calcutta but have so many ambassadors I am stubborn. I always have the net ready in the boat and neatly wrapped an extended. I play the fish longer and put the net in the water, never having trouble with the net but I know I have lost fish from playing too long.

Alone is definitely more of a challenge but is relaxing. You can make mistakes and nobody knows but you and if you catch a fish it will be you.

Good Luck

I just had to read this last night didn't I?

Went out this morning and got a nice pike around 38" on a topwater. Fought it all the way in, then fubar'd the net job. Drag was too tight, net was tangled up...trying to untangle the net and the fish shook off.

I've never caught a pike over 31" before. Arrgh!!!!!!