www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Landing Skis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's sad but true, the Calcutta is the best. Their drags are far superior to anything I have ever used. I have always used Ambassador, but sometimes the truth hurts :-)

I always have my drag set tight, with the fish hooked I back off my drag a little when it gets close to the boat, just in case it makes a hard run, I want him to take a little line. I also will use my thumb but won't free spool it. Also, I like to have my rod tip up so if the fish does go, the rod will absorb the pressure instead of the line.

Once the fish is in the bag, I hook part of the net around the cleat. At this point I start cutting hooks. It makes for a faster and safer release. I can always replace hook, you can't replace a damaged fish.

This is just one mans opinion.

silverfox:

or damaged hands!!!

Mark

Mark:

You can say that again.

You really need to go with an approach you are comfortable with and confident in. You dont want to be unsure of or second guess what you are doing when going solo.

I play the fish a little longer, use a bait with as few trebles as possible and hand land. The hooks do the damage so i prioritize single hooks if feasible. Bummer about the big one...only a fish though.

Default drag

I use an Abu-Garcia Record and set the drag to the point I can hardly pull the line off the spool. Believe me...a 39' Musky will rip line off like the drag isn't set. Was in the boat by myself last week and had one like you (not as big). I played it until it turned by itself toward the side of the boat...had the net ready, kept it next to the hull, and lifted her straight into the boat. Had the live well running and put her in for a little bit to help oxigenate her. Got her back in the water and in less than a minute she yanked out of my hand and back to the bar. I don't lock down my drag either....that's what they are for.