www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Natural Gas Drilling

Default Natural Gas Drilling

I just so happened to catch bits and pieces of a documentary called "Gasland" last night. It really got my attention as we have a lot of this type of natural gas extraction happening in PA and NY. Now I realize that the documentary leaned a little toward one side of the extreme, but there are quite a few cases where local citizens can actually light their tap/drinking water on fire using a lighter near where this type of drilling is taking place!!

A look at the list of some of these chemicals being used raises a HUGE red flag. Once these get into the ground water, its just a matter of time before it spreads to larger water sheds. I'm not usually one to "preach", but this has serious threat potential to pure life sustaining water, not to mention the recreation that is a way of life for most of us.

If you are not familiar with these techniques, you might want to catch the movie if you can, otherwise check out the site to gather some info.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/whats-fracking/

Tons of new drilling going on in our area. Most are the new marcellus shale gas wells that drills very deep and then out from there like a wagon wheel spokes for a mile or more in any direction.

There was a guy up the road who had gas in his well and he built a little stack and had it burning for a month or two fighting to get something done about it. He got it taken care of but I don't know the details.

Its tough to even find a place to stay in areas like Williamsport due to all the drilling crews in town. Seems even the EPA has its hands tied until an "accident" happens and there might be a cleanup involved. Its pretty crazy stuff. They basically have free reign to do whatever.

I had the pleasure of taking out a team of natural gas executives last summer that are based out of Texas (Directional Drilling, Inc.). They said they will be in NC PA for a long, long time.

Kinda like a "gold rush" scenario, I suppose.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Anyone who might have this stuff going on near them might want to get their water tested if you haven't recently. Not only will this let you know its good to go, but you'll have that data for future reference if needed. Like Frank mentioned, some of these people had VERY difficult times getting issues resolved. Never hurts to be a little proactive rather than reactive. And even if no issues arise, you at least know whats in your water that you're drinking.