If I added up all the money I've spent on lures, rods & reels..etc, I'd probably be humiliated. Don't get me wrong; you usually get what you pay for when it comes to equipment and I like to have "the best" I can afford. I'm talking about fishing tackle in general.

I have several guide trips lined up in the next few days for smallmouth bass on Vermilion so I've been trying to find new spots. During the last 2 days, I've caught some nice fish and even wrestled with a 10lb pike. However, I guarantee I went through $50 of jigs thanks to the toothy northerns. I like using swim jigs tipped with a GULP crawler or leach and I refuse to use a leader when fishing shallow and clear water.

I found that I could catch as many or more fish with a simple hook and split-shot. For those of you who wacky-rig, go out and get that slick tool that allows you to put a rubber gasket over the sinking worm with ease. You slip your hook between the worm and the gasket; this leads to fewer ripped worms.

I'm going to save my crankbaits for trolling walleyes in the shallows at night and my wallet will definately thank me for it. When you search for smallies on vermilion, look for a combo of rock/weeds and other structure. Half the shoreline is rock and you'll waste a lot of time simply trying to fish it all. Take a cruise, pick your spots and remember to keep it simple.