www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ready for the Lake

Default Ready for the Lake

Here I go again! It is the 14th year coming to the lake and 10th straight while keeping track of the results. As I mention every year, I keep a fishing journal where all fish caught from the boat or keeper size fish caught from the resort docks are kept track of. The numerous tiny ones my boys catch from the resort docks are not counted. Here is a summary of the last 10 years.

2000 = 18 walleye, 6 northern, 8 perch, 1 rock bass
    2001 = 15 walleye, 12 northern, 11 perch
    2002 = 9 walleye, 11 northern, 10 perch, 21 rock bass
    2003 = 2 walleye, 53 northern, 6 perch, 2 rock bass
    2004 = missed this year when my second son was born
    2005 = 0 walleye, 18 northern, 17 perch, 4 rock bass, 1 largemouth
    2006 = 1 walleye, 17 northern, 33 perch, 7 rock bass, 1 largemouth
    2007 = 12 walleye, 39 northern, 37 perch, 21 rock bass, 3 largemouth, 2 crappie, 1 bullhead, 17 sunfish
    2008 = 19 walleye, 38 northern, 3 largemouth, 7 rock bass, 14 sunfish, 13 crappie, 1 perch, 2 bowfin
    2009 = 31 walleye, 34 northern, 17 perch, 47 rock bass, 6 largemouth, 7 sunfish, and 15 crappie.

The results show a decline in walleye from 2000 - 2005 with then an increase from 2005 - 2009. The walleye fishing has improved big time. Crappie and largemouth are showing up more now due to me targeting them more. Knowing the lake better and better overall quantities of fish has improved my results dramatically. The wide variety of species is due to targeting many species with a variety of patterns. We tend to fish only during nice weather and during the morning and evening for an average of 7 hours per day for 7 days if there is good weather. Northern, largemouth, and crappie are targeted in the morning and walleye in the evening.

Due to the phenominal reports from other fishermen of walleye success, I plan to jig for walleye a bit more in late morning and mid day hours instead of only fishing for them from 8:00 to 10:00 like most years. I love crappie and will find time for them on at least 2 fishing trips. I will try for largemouth once or twice like most years. I seem to always get a few when I try and they tend to be big and fun to catch. Rock bass are just so easy to catch that it's hard to resist filling up the live well with them on a few occasions. I will fish for northern less but plan to try Boy Bay for them. I have never fished that bay before, but I hear that the average size is larger there. We'll see. I'll be there from the 5th to 12th next week. I'll give a full report when I get back.

Steve K.

Default Thanks Steve!!!

Hey Steve, Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to provide such a great report. Will you be staying at Brindleys again this year? We have booked a week there the last week of June and am really looking forward to your upcoming report. Goodluck with your fishing and have a safe to and from. Kevin.

You betcha we are, and it looks like you'll get the full report in time for your trip since we get back on the 14th. We drive all the way from GA.

Steve

Default Interesting Stats

Thanks for the excellent info. It is interesting to see the improvement of the walleyes. A lot of folks are responsible for the recovery, too many to mention but we all owe them a big congratulation and thanks. Keep up the info and good luck on your trip.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default The Results and Conclusions

I've just gotten back from another wonderful week at the Great Pond. The lake was beautiful and in great health. We observed numerous species of ducks with new families, osprey, bald eagles, beavers, muskrats, and even two doe deer on the shore one morning when we went through Roosevelt Canal. Sea gulls were more numerous. I didn't see any cormorants, though they are still there according to data. Loons were plentiful and doing their famous calls every night. I gladly noticed a lot more weeds. Many spots with only spotty weeds in previous years looked like massive jungles this time with canopies sometimes reaching the surface. There were less leeches on fish this year. The water was clear. I saw only a few dead fish. The people in town were once again very friendly.

The weather didn't cooperate well. It rained during 5 of the 6 1/2 days that we were there. As a result, I spent less time on the water fishing then my usual average. When I fished in the rain, I was unable to get any of my family members to fish with me, and I stayed close to the resort. The time I did fish had mostly good results. As I mentioned before, I counted only keeper fish from the resort's docks and marina or any fish caught in the boat.

Results
    walleye = 8

northern = 22

rock bass = 23

crappie = 9

largemouth bass = 3

sunfish = 21

perch = 50

Conclusions for each Specie

walleye - The walleye were 5 keepers between 14 and 18 inches and 3 big slot fish. We didn't catch the large amount of tiny 10 - 13 inch walleye like we did last year. However, I am tentative to predict that it's a bad year class in that range due to the huge amount of mayfly and other hatches that all happened during the week. When I night fished under a light for walleye, I caught only a few northern this year. Millions of mayflies were landing on the water, and I could often see mostly small walleye-looking fish rolling on them like trout for a massive feast. I believe these were walleye, particularly smaller walleye. My trolling technique worked on a couple of occasions but bombed on others. Since the jig fishermen still caught fish during these times, I must conclude that my reliance on trolling cost me some fish. The other fishermen didn't come back with huge numbers. Usually it was 2 walleye 3 perch, or 3 walleye 1 perch, or 1 walleye 2 perch. However, my conversations with them revealed that they also threw back a fair amount of slot fish. I don't think they were catching tiny walleye either. I conclude that the mayfly and other hatches hurt my night fishing and prevented the tiny walleye from feeding during the day. I jig fished a bit with very little success from only a few perch. The rest of my family including my eight year old son are not yet at a level to jig fish. Jig fishing is my weakness and must be improved.

northern - This is the fishing that suffered the most because of the rain. When I had nice weather early in the week, I caught them at a good rate and most were slightly larger than most years. I also saw a few 30 + fish brought in and passed a dock fisherman that proudly held up a northern well into the upper 30's. Perhaps it was somewhere between 12 and 16 pounds. It was huge. I fished for northern a lot less though. I caught a few more while walleye fishing I suspect due to the higher weed growth on the main lake.

rock bass- I never actually targetted rock bass this week. I caught all of them while trolling, fishing for crappie, or my son got them at the resort's marina.

crappie - The crappie were less numerous but very large in size with all being between 11 and 12 inch slabs. Since I've seen the average size go up for three straight years from 9-10, 10-11, and now 11-12, I am starting to wonder if there was a strong year class about 5 or 6 years ago. My resort's marina only yielded a few and the owners told me that I had caught the first ones in there of the year. My second spot no longer had the giant beaver dam that used to block in someone's boat. I guess that person must have gone through a lot of pain to remove that dam. The third spot is too heavilly fished and yielded no crappie. My last spot had most of the nice crappie, but I had to catch a lot of rock bass between each crappie. The rock bass seemed to now more dominate in that spot. The crappie only seem to inhabit these backwaters of the lake.

largemouth bass - I only caught a few when I tried. I don't think the rain helped.

sunfish - My son caught all of these in my resort's marina. He actually caught a lot more baby ones too. I'll conclude that the sunfish population is very healthy in the shallows.

perch - This one is interesting to me. We never actually targetted perch but found ourselves constantly catching them when we went for other species. The average size of the perch was larger than usual with almost all perch being between 9 - 11 inches. The walleye jiggers also caught many and also threw theirs in the live wells. We kept so many that I might develop yellow and green stripes by next year.

It was very sad to have to leave at the end of the week. Leech Lake is an oasis of the world. I wish the rest of you the best of luck with fishing and stay safe. Until next year....

Steve K.