www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Pymatuning fish kill

Default Pymatuning fish kill

My father sent me an email that he read in the beaver county times that the pa fish commission is scrambling around to try to find out what is killing fish at pymatuning. The article goes on to say that since may 16th hundreds of crappies, walleye, muskie and bass have died and there has been more this past week. They also stated that fishing has been restricted at the park, but no formal warnings have been giving because they don't know what is causing the dead fish.
    Has anyone else heard about this?

Just saw a similar report updated on the Post Gazette website. That does not sound good!!

PFBC Information Header

Contacts:

Tom Rathbun, DEP; 717-787-1323
    Eric Levis, Fish & Boat; 717-705-7806
    Holli Senior, Dept. of Health; 717-787-1783

Public Warned Not to Eat Fish from Pymatuning Reservoir in Crawford County

Harrisburg – The Department of Environmental Protection, Department of Health and the Fish and Boat Commission have issued a “Do Not Eat” consumption advisory for all species of fish taken from the Pymatuning Reservoir in Crawford County while officials investigate the cause of a large fish kill that has occurred over the past two weeks.

The advisory was issued after approximately 2,500 dead fish were found in various locations in the reservoir beginning on Saturday, May 15.

Water samples have been collected and are being tested at the DEP laboratory in Harrisburg. Fish samples are being tested by the Fish and Boat Commission and at Cornell University. The Ohio Department of Parks is assisting in the investigation.

The Do Not Eat consumption advisory will remain in place until investigators can determine that there is not a danger to public health and safety.

Glad to see they finally posted something on the Pymy fish kill. Dead fish have been reported since 2 weeks ago. Rumor is that fertilizer got into the water from farmers. If I remember right didn't that lake have some problems with raw sewage years ago? Lets hope they can get a handle on it. Cant believe that people are still keeping Walleye and Crappies.

The "Do not eat Pymie Fish" warning just made our paper this morning. Nothing stated as to why the fish are dying.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Please see my response/report to Tamarac Lake thread

I see now that Tamarac has be added to the "do not eat" list. Stonewall Jackson lake has reported having the same brown lesions on the crappie there same as Tamarac. Shenango below the dam also has an advisory. What is going on here. Could it be from the higher than normal water temps maybe causing some type of bacteria? Hope that Cornell Uni finds the answer soon. Of course we could blame it on BP.

I saw 2 dead fish in the river over the weekend with a single brown spot on them. Not sure if they were casualties of the Kinzua outflow gates or something else.

Dead fish are pretty rare in my neck of the woods.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I read this update on the PYMY fish kill. Does anyone know for sure what is killing the fish? If it is bacteria, what kind is it?

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/...b247029228.txt

In case any one was wondering the EPH and PFBC have lifted the "do not eat fish" advisory on Pymy and Tamarac. They confirmed it was a Columnaris outbreak (bacteria) due to the warm temperatures. This was put out on 6-17