www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Red River Update - May 26/10

Default Red River Update - May 26/10

Made last minute plans with my usual partner Jeff Davey for some late afternoon/evening catfish. Good thing we did, the cats were on fire! In 5 hours, we put 15 cats in the boat with an average of 34" and most of the fish were pretty heavy! Largest of the day was a long and lean 38"er. If we weren't anxious to set the hook, we could have probably boated another 10. Oddly enough, for every fish that would smash-and-grab the bait, there was one that would peck away at it for 5 minutes before finally committing to it.

What really surprised me though was how picky they were in bait choice. I brought all the usual suspects but one of them outperformed the other three 6:1! Hint - we ran out and had to spend an hour catching a bunch more .

Seems the first hatch of the year is underway which explains why the goldeye activity was so high (hence the catfish exploding on the surface everywhere you looked). This is usually a sign the sturgeon fishing is about to kick-off as they gorge themselves on the insect casings.

I'm not home at the moment but I'll post a bunch of the pictures tonight.

Andrew Klassen
    Andrew Klassen Guide Service
    NW Ontario & Manitoba

Web Site: http://www.andrewklassen.com
    E-Mail: setthehook@shaw.ca
    Toll-Free: 1-866-676-FISH

As promised...

Andrew Klassen
    Andrew Klassen Guide Service
    NW Ontario & Manitoba

Web Site: http://www.andrewklassen.com
    E-Mail: setthehook@shaw.ca
    Toll-Free: 1-866-676-FISH

Default Red River Update May 26/10

The flyer says it is not a timekeeping event. I am not sure what a restart format means exactly, Do you want to explain. I would post a link to the flyer but I am quite inept