www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Escanaba River

Cool Escanaba River

Well opening day my son got two decent perch from the North launch fishing docks. I got one 16" walleye from the black bridge, but thats been about it for the keepers. I been out almost everyday since opening day but no other wallies to speak of. The dam on the left on your way to Gladstone,has been where last year i was catching 20"er's left and right but this year its a no go for me. Dont know if's cause the water is 3 feet lower than it was this time last year or cause of are early spring, but it is rough out there. The bass have seemed to become more active the last 2 days. I hooked into a few 12"ers and this nice 17" smallmouth tonight. But again no walleyes. Been i awhile since i posted so i hope this pic turns out. Well good luck to you all out there!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	9601  

[QUOTE=fonzypoo;53843] The dam on the left on your way to Gladstone,has been where last year i was catching 20"er's left and right but this year its a no go for me. Dont know if's cause the water is 3 feet lower than it was this time last year or cause of are early spring, but it is rough out there. [QUOTE]

Gonna go out on a limb and say its because all the 20"ers are canned in your cupboard. Not trying to bash but theres a reason catch and release is popular for bass.. It takes them a long time to get that size.

Cool

Gonna go out on a limb and say its because all the 20"ers are canned in your cupboard. Not trying to bash but theres a reason catch and release is popular for bass.. It takes them a long time to get that size.[/QUOTE]

i was talking about the 20 inch walleyes,not the bass. Any bass over 16" i throw back. Only take the smaller ones home for the dinner table.

Question

When dose bass season open anyway,I thought it was towards the end of may
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jtourangeau View Post
    When dose bass season open anyway,I thought it was towards the end of may
    It opens the friday before Memorial day i think. But catch and release opened on the 15th for bass.

I mis understood you on the 20" thing so thanks for lettin those hawgs go to fight another day! Way more fun to catch a big fish again and again than it is to eat it once. As for the walleye, I have to say its a combination of low water and an earlier spring. I fished the river opening day and only caught a few throwbacks. The river has always been my go to spot for atleast some fish! They seem to have gone out to deep water.

Cool salmon?

Went down to the river for a little while tonight/day.When i got there you could see fish swimming up over the shallow water up toward the dam.Not sure if these were bass or salmon. I thaught the salmon would have been gone by now. Whatever they were there was alot of them. I tried to catch one to see what it was, but some ppl showed up with kids so i headed down stream to give them a chance instead. All catch and release today ofcourse,just out having fun. I caught two 18 inch small mouth,half dozen or so 10-13 inchers. A extra big rock bass 13".. and 2 small northerns. Everything caught on a perch colored rapala..I'm out there in da waders walking/stubbling along the slick rocky banks. But i did hear a few whoops and yips coming from the "way to high" peir up next to the dam.