www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Water Temperature and Bass

Default Water Temperature and Bass

I have been watching the weather for Dryden and Vermilion Bay and it looks like it getting warm up there. This week it is calling for daytime temps in the mid to high 70's and night time in the mid to low 50's. Correct me if I am wrong but this looks like it is warmer earlier than usual.
    Have the Bass started moving yet? Is it too early for them with these temps?
    Just wondering. All responses appreciated.
    pfessor

Red face

Hi pfessor,
    Things are way ahead here. The weather is beautiful and I am sunburned!
    The walleye are definitely done the spawn and are all over. I am very happy to say they finished up before walleye opening on Saturday.
    While fishing in shallow for them, our guests inadvertently caught several bass and musky. My daughter was watching one under the dock yesterday too. Nothing really big but fun to watch all the same.
    I will have to get back to you on the water temp. I haven't been out yet and Sam and Wayne only got out for an hour the other evening but didn't bring the depth finder to see the temp. They did well in about 12' of water.
    I know it is still pretty chilly for swimming but I think I will have to brave it this weekend (long weekend tradition that I had to break last year!)
    Two days ago I had a May fly land on me. I was shocked as I never see fish fly's in May! Tons of other bugs out too. One report for a trout lake up north a bit from here said that the flying ants were hatching already.
    Dad and Robbie fished that other bass and pike lake you like with their fly rods. They didn't really try for any bass but did well on the pike. They plan on trying for bass pretty soon but dad just got a new heavy weight 9' for musky so he had to try it out.
    Thanks for the pics of the turkeys too. That is so neat!

Lydia
    North Country Lodge
    Web Site: http://www.musky-fishing.com

Thanks for the report. This may be the year for the Bass. The past couple of years they were just getting started as we were leaving.
    The bass usually get active when the water temperature gets to around 60 degrees F. I'll keep my fingers crossed hoping that we'll hit it just right this time.
    We will be packing lots of bug spray. Most likely the early season and warmer temperatures will bring out the biting bugs in full force especially since you are already seeing some.
    Looking forward to eating lots of walleye again. It's been almost a year since we've had any.

pfessor

10 days ago, the surface water temp north of Red Lake was 60 degrees. Canyon must now be ready for a day at the beach.

I've been swimming since May Long and it was warmer than all last summer!
    North Country Lodge
    Web Site: http://www.musky-fishing.com