Cold, damp, windy, not quite Deadliest Catch weather but pretty close!

We haven't been fishing much, been working and waiting for some warmer weather to get the water temps up.

Bass have been good, are about to begin making beds (some early ones are already) and being caught on a variety of presentations. Live bait (minnows), spinnerbaits, and swimbaits fished slow have been best and we've boated some nice largemouths.

Bluegills have provided the bulk of early fishing for me, and it's been some of the best I've ever seen. Numbers of fish over nine inches with one over ten have been caught with regularity. I've been targeting northern bays with wood, windy days seem to be best. Wax worm under a bobber, just like when you were a kid. Please be selective and limit your harvest under these pre-spawn conditions.

Walleye reports remain very inconsistent, with shallow fish being caught at the same time deeper cribs are producing. Wood is still producing, along with early season weeds in 5-10 feet. Minnows still producing best, with crankbaits catching a few too.

Look for warming weather this coming week to really get fish going. Bass should be up and hitting, along with walleyes becoming more active. This weekend should start off our good, consistent May fishing, albeit a little late.

Best of luck,

JS