www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: which one?

Default which one?

Frank, this should be right up your alley

with all the boats coming and going, wondering what your suggestion would be. I remember when I fished with you, you where impressed with the Suzuki

I'm looking into buying a Starcraft Superfisherman 180. Trying to decide what motor to choose from, either the 150 Verado or the 150 Suzuki.

Any input would appreciated, especially if anyone could tell me the expected lowest trolling speed

Well Bret here my two cents for what it is worth. My father has a 175 Verado which I have run. My neighbor also has a 175 Verado I have been around. My other neighbor has a 150 Suzuki whom I have fished with. Thats my expierances with these engines.
    My Opinions- The Verado is quieter. The electric shift after you get used to it is sweet. I believe Verados all have standard hydraulic steering which is nice. The Verado is probably more expensive. My neighbor bent his prop shaft on the Verado without much of a hit and they are very expensive to replace. Verados start with a touch of the key not sure about suzuki but they probably do too. My neighbor who runs Suzuki said he would never have anything else, there are several guides at the Angle running them and haven't heard any complaints. If you get a Verado get the analog guages because my dad didn't and its had to read the digital in the sun.
    I always thought when I repowered I would get a Suzuki but after getting used to the Verados i,m not sure, probably would depend on the closet dealer for service. Up here its 60 miles to Verado repair and 100 to Suzuki repair. As for trolling the Verado is sweet at idle, you can't hear it and i,m sure it would go as slow as you need, but I wouldn,t troll with it in shallow water its to damn expensive to fix. Not sure as to trolling with the suzuki.TOUGH CHOICE!

I'm still a big fan of the Suzi. Although I have to say, I have never heard "first hand" of an issue with the Verado. If it were me, I'd go with the Suzuki. Up here in the land of fix it yourself, much less to go wrong.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

That was my concern about the Verado. It is probably the most complicated motor you can buy. I did ask at the local dealer about problems with them because I had heard some rumors. They said they have lots of them out there without any trouble. If you believe what you hear. Its almost impossible to work on things on your own anymore, you either need special tools or computer programs to do anything even if you new what you were doing. Suzuki has been building four strokes for a long time, I remember years ago a friend had one that had two plugs for every cylinder if I remember right. I thought he crazy buying that thing but he never did have trouble with it. Verado claims to have more power with the supercharger but I would like to see them side by side for comparison.

For what it's worth, I LOVE MY VERADO!!! I'm now on my 14th boat, all with various motors. While I have never had a Suzuki, I cant see it getting much better than this. I've got the 225 and it is so quiet you can actually carry on a conversation at full speed. The torque blows away anything else I've had (including a 300 Yami V-Max). Yet you can dial it down to troll at 1.2 MPH (if you want). At first I wasn't sold on the gas mileage portion, that is until I learned how to dial it in with the smartcraft gages. I'm on my 5th year and haven't needed a tune up yet. Other than lower unit (twice) and oil changes, a wrench hasn't touched it yet.

2 lower units?Did you hit something?

Thumbs up

Hey, Jim! Damn people keep leaving their boulders lay around! Where was the last one you found? Was that the rock west of Squaw Island that mysteriously appeared? Hope all is good in the land of the desert. Planning on heading up for a few days the week after muskie opener. You going to be around? How deep is your little bay? With water levels low you going to be able to get to your dock? Might have to beach out in the channel. Six weeks and counting down! John

What can I say? LOW ROCKS!!!!!

John,
    I will be up sometime around then/4th of July. Just haven't booked that flight yet.
    My 1st trip up however is in only 25 days!!!!!!!!

Default Suzuki

I owned a 140 Suzuki for 6 years and now have a 150 suzy for 1 year and have never had a problem.Talk to anybody who owns a Suzuki and they will tell you how much they love them.You fish Lake Of The Woods the most important thing is reliability,if you race your boat on Thursdays buy a Verado.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suzy 150_1.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	9501  

Thanks for all the advice

M3,, looking at an aluminum boat weighing 1350lbs, from your experience would the 140 be enough, or spend the extra $ on the 150

don't plan on racing, run up a 2.5 mph current and 42mph would be more than enough

thinking of going with the 140 and put a kicker on with the savings

Default suzuki

There is a big difference between the 140 and 150 motors. The 140 is from the 90/115 Block and they changed the Camshaft to get 140 HP.My Ranger 618 ran 44mph (GPS) with the 140 and 54.5 with the 150. They both troll great but the 150 has a lot more cubic inches and power.The 150 gets the best MPG @ 4000 RPM around 32 MPH which is nice when your fishing around LOW.I would upgrade for the right price,if you buy a Suzy let me know and maybe I can help you with your choice on a prop. Tim

Hi Brett,

2500 miles last summer on my suzuki 175 and I never had to add a drop of oil. For a motor with 3 seasons on it I thought it was a pretty good deal. Have yet to do any maint on it other than oil change and plugs.

As long as you don't get a pin hole in the oil filter........

Ed

I'm curious as to Norm's comments on his suzy.