www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 1st week in June

Default 1st week in June

This will be our first trip to the flowage and there is gonna be a crew of 9 of us. My question is will we be able to catch decent fish without knowing the lake at all? We arent novice fisherman just novice to the chip any knowledge or tips would be greatly appreciated since were less than a month out!!!

Thanks and Happy Fishing

The very first thing I would do is get yourself a good topo map I would then mark where i was staying so i would at least have a reference point, (you didnt mention where you were staying , east or west) Bear in mind the water level is approx 2 feet down according to the reports so when traveling around i wouldnt stay to close to the shore line unless you have a lot of shear pins with ya keep a lookout where your at and try to remember some points of interest so you dont spend your time trying to find your way back the chip is BIG and closer you get to dark the more the shoreline all looks the same. The fish will be done spawning and will be scattered but with the topo map you can find the points and flats with the deeper water near by- you can break it down like any other lake- its just so much more water to cover also alot depends on what your fishing for or if your mix bagging it alittle more info on where you were staying and what your fishing for would probably help more

Normally I like the 3rd week in June but you may hit it right as the ice was out early this year. The weeds are the best for me and try the northeast sector of the lake as there are many weeds in that area early. The water was 2 feet low a week ago and if it stays that way there are many spots that are not on the topo map that can be hit and will take out props. Try to stay in the river channels when you can and go slower until you develop some knowledge of the areas. The resort owners will help you out regarding spots that are shallow and can take out props. Good luck!!

About the catching fish part of the question...............your going to struggle. Sorry, just being honest. Everything looks so good out here but isn't. It will take you four or five days to figure out weedlines and gravel bars to where you feel confident running spots right. Boat position is the main key on any lake and out here it matters more than any lake I've fished by far. If you have GPS I would at least go out and pre-mark some spots so you run them right first. That will help a lot. Get the Lakemaster paper map if you get any paper map. That one is the best. You might have to order that online. Try Rollie and Helen's and Thornes first though. Be careful out here. There aren't a whole lot of rock bars but there are a lot of sand bars out here to run on top of. I hope you do well though. You'll love the lake.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

We are staying at the chippewa campground in the middle of the lake so should have a good chance to hit both sides of the lake. we mainly fish for walleye but would love to get into smallie's and crappie. I want to try for some musky but it probably wont happen since we will only be there the 3rd-10 or 11th. Thanks for the info guys i owe ya a case for sure if we get into some fish!:>

Smallies are, in my opinion, one of the easier, most fun game fish to get into on the flowage. Crankbaits along rocky shorelines. Done. Or if you like, texas rig some plastics, just focus on rocks rather than weeds. You'll find more structure like this on the East side, in general.

trav

Thanx trav i am on the countdown 25 days and my pole will be in the water!!! cannot wait!!!

Any tips for spots to chase some walleye?

If the weather is steady try the outside weedlines. If not try some sunken bogs out a little deeper(18' to24').
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Thanx Mr. Sennett appreciate the information from everyone!!!

Besides the rocky shorelines like Trav said give any stumps you see on the far east/south east side. If you catch one there are usually more. Deep stumps are the best. five foot of water seems to be best.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843