www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: May 5th Report

Default May 5th Report

WIND WIND WIND!! What an opener....lots of wind...

I've been on the water everyday since opener and had some really good results...Opener was with friends and family....we boated around 50 fish all day long and ended the day with just a few legal fish and some nice pike...

Sunday was a little better....limited in 2 hours in the morning and the evening was a little slower, but still managed a limit for my clients and a bonus Tiger musky(CPR obviously)...got a 37 inch pike too(CPR'd)

Monday by far was the best day, we boated over 60 fish and had around 20 to 25 fish over 15"....awesome day...

Tuesday evening prior to the weather moving in provided some really nice action and we ended with 15 fish and 7 really nice fish over 15"...wind blown shoreline and logs with weed stubble around.

Just reporting each day so everyone can see what's been happening.....just showing how the bite has changed from day to day

I have been finding walleyes in 2 locations....first weed growth of the year, and wood....5 to 10 feet of water...not real deep.

The bite has definitely been something that isn't consistant....one day it's jigs, the next it's all slip-bobbers, the next a mix of cranks, jigs, and slips...it pays to try everything until a pattern is made.

One thing that I have found is that on the larger lakes, REDTAILS are the answer....outfished everything around and put on a clinic for boats fishing the same structure and watching us...

Crappies are using shoreline wood and are still a long ways from spawning, remember these guys spawn at 63 to 67 degrees....Frizzies and Mini-mites are outfishing ANYTHING right now...yes, even minnows.

Baitrigs weedmaster jigs in 1/16 oz or Oddballs in 1/8 oz(windy days) have been best...Rapala Minnow-raps for cranks..

Water temps are 49 to 52 on the largest lakes and 51 to 55 on the smaller lakes....we got some rain last night, however 10 more days of it would be great.
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

Default Rick, do you or any readers fish Squirrel Lake?

Anyone throw us a bone, with fish on it? Our annual five brother's spring trip next week, forecast looks mighty good so far for a warm up and even a little rain this week.

Anyone been doing anything on Squirrel Lake, Oneida County? Any specific tips on what, when and where to look for Crappie and walleye? Can't wait!!!! Think will hit the crappie spawn next Wed, Thur or Fri?

Thanks for any advice.

The Musky Kid.

musky kid:

Here's your bone... I think you will find the crappies making an attempt by then. They have been shallow for a lengthy period of time and in and out over the last week or so with the more winter-like spring we've been having as of late. They are talking about warmer weather which should help. Also the lilacs are trying to bloom and that is usually the time frame they try to spawn.

As for the 'eyes, you will probably be finding them by working the weeds and edge structures. Good luck!!!

Mark