www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Opening weekend report

Default Opening weekend report

Well the winds were strong to say the least but the fishing was excellent. My boat caught limits of walleyes each day. We were fishing a trophy lake with an 18" size limit. Over the weekend we caught up wards of 50+ walleyes. The smallest was about 15 1/2" and the largest was 23 1/2" We averages 19-20" fish. It was a lot of fun and it felt very good to a fish tugging on the other end of the line. We started shallow which was what I though with the spring that we have had. The water temps on opening day were 49.5 degrees. We went to a flat that I knew about and looked for emerging weeds. If you found the new growth weeds you found fish. With the wind it was hard to hold in a spot, but this year I put the new I-Pilot from Minn Kota onto my Terrova trolling motor. It has a feature called spot lock, or and electronic anchor. Even in the strong winds it performed awesome. It held us in a 10 foot circle. It was probable one of the best tools I have on my boat. The fish we caught were in 8-11 feet of water and feeding. Early in the morning we would cast cranks on the shallow flats and then move a bit deeper into the 10-11 foot range and catch them on jigs and fatheads. In the evening we would start on the same 10-11 foot contour and the last hour of light into the dark we would again cast cranks shallow. By far the most fun was the last hour of light into the dark casting with cranks. Those fish were just coming up and slamming them. We had several doubles doing this. All in all it was a great weekend of fishing. I expect this action to continue right on into the early summer. I will post a pic of some of the fish tonight.

Good fishing,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Opener 10.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	9392  
    Scott Biscobing
    Hodag Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.hodagguideservice.com
    E-Mail Address:hodagguide@gmail.com