www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: ? about tionesta

Lightbulb ? about tionesta

fished it once last year in fall. was just wondering how far is the Nebraska bridge up from the no wake bouey. I fish from a 17.7 lund pro sport adventure and wonder if i could make it up there pretty easy with out causing any kind of damage. any help would be grateful !!!!

Been a long time since i've been up to the other end but i'm thinking about a 1/4 mile. Someone else may be able to give you a more exact length. There's a boat ramp right at the bridge so you should be able to get right up to it. I haven't been up there to that end for 2 years. I'm pretty sure the bridge is closed so you'd have to come in from the RT 36 side in Newmansville to get to the launch. That used to be a free launch site also. Probably still is free.

I have been in that area 2 times this Spring hunting for staging fish and several times last year. My approximation is at least 1/2 mile from the no wake zone buoys to the bridge and maybe a little further.

Yes, that launch is still free and yes, you should be able to get a prop boat of any kind up to the bridge as long as you have an IQ over 50. There are a few decent logs in the middle of the old creek channel that you see some times and when the water is up, they are sunken and just out of sight.

Good Luck.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I've never been on the lake, but if you download the google earth program, you can look right down on the lake using satellite imaging. There is a measuring tool that you can measure either in a straight line or a irregular path. You can measure in miles, feet...etc.
    It's a very useful tool. I use it a lot scouting new areas and then marking areas where I encountered fish for future reference. You can also look up gps coordinates of those locations if you weren't able to mark them when you were on the water.
    It's free and if nothing else a great way to burn a few hours.

While we're talking about Tionesta, I'll be staying in Hickory fishing the 3rd weekend in may. Never fished that stretch of water between Tidioute and Tionesta before...any good spots anybody want to share with me?? Hahaha. I'm strictly CPR and when it comes down to it... not a very good musky fisherman!! (yet)

Mike

I was up to nebraska bridge yesterday. There was probably 6-7 boats launched from the launch up there but the ones I saw were smaller boats. I dont know the last time I had a boat on tionesta it was my dads 19' crestliner about 4 years ago it was probably july august and we went up far enough to get her in the mud. I would say it is probably a little over a 1/2 mile from the no wake to the bridge.
    Caught two nice perch and a little bass in tionesta creek and was only there for maybe a hour.

Alright, I had to check it out for myself. Not knowing the lake, I can only assume the little white dot in the middle of the channel of the first picture is a no wake bouy. If it is, the path marked on the 2nd photo is 1.85 miles. If that's not the bouy, you can use that path to gauge the distance wherever the bouy actually is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tionestalake1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	9366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tionestalake2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	9367  

Yes, It is probably close to a mile from the buoys to the bridge. There are alot of submerged logs along the way. You have to stay right in the creek channel or you will get stuck like many others on the big mud flats. It is no wake all the way to the bridge. It is fine for smaller boats but see bigger boats stuck all the time. Good luck.

Man, no wonder I never made it all the way to the bridge. I was there either last summer or the year before in our 21' Lund. I shortline trolled the creek channel past the no wake bouyes and wanted to see if I could make it to the bridge. The channel winds and turns all over the place through there. I got to past the first big bend and still couldn't see the bridge. The channel was probably only about 5' and outside the channel was like 2'. There was one point where I kind off lost the channel and could find any deep water at all. That's when I gave up and turned around. I don't know much about the place, but I know I wouldn't bother with that are of the lake anymore.

Is it me, or does that satelite image look like crap. It looks like a muddy mess.
    Adam A.

I should recind my earlier statement about the IQ over 50 remark. If the water levels are normal or above normal, you should have at least 5-6 feet in the creek channel, if you can find it and stay in it.

I have seen the creek channel (in places) with less than 5 feet of water too.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Using a kayak I'm a fairly strong paddler. Is current an issue between launch and lake?

You will have no problems paddling up through there. None at all.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

WOW i was WAY off, sorry. After checking, the whole length of the lake is 6.3 miles. I would have guessed half of that. I really have not spent much time their. Mostly along the side of the river. 1.85 miles looks like about right then. It still doesn't seem like the lake is that long, but it must be.

Yeah, Adam. I would never try to take a boat as big and nice as yours up that channel. The channel is very narrow and a few feet either way you will get stuck. It is usually muddy from all the boats running up on the mud flats. I have seen some boats stuck over an hour on the big flat. There was nothing I could do to help. I saw a few idiots flying up through there while towing 2 kids on tubes, thank god they didnt hit one of the trees or stumps. There are some real a@@holes on that lake in the summer. It makes the aholes at Chautauqua look smart...Joe m

It would be a 2-man operation with a larger boat. I run my long shaft kicker up through there with a buddy in the front looking out for logs. (You could easily use your trolling motor for the last .5 mile of the trek too.) My GPS has the channel marked and have never hit anything but my boat drafts less water than a deeper-V rig too.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default thanx for replies

thank u for the replyies. by the time we get there water level will be lower . guess we will only go just a few 100 yrds past the first turn. whats the best time of year to fish it , if you don't mind telling. i live about hour south west of there.

Bait pods everywhere during summer. Find them and stay on them along with some nice shoreline areas of deep and shallow water. Trolling the creek channels can produce fish in most all Reservoirs.

Just keep your line wet and watch the graph.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress