www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Opening Weekend

Default Opening Weekend

Looks like it might be a soggy opener....Actually hope it rains for the next 3 weeks!!! We need it.

I'm sure Mother Nature will skip us again......

Lakes are holding temps in the upper 40's(large,deep) to mid 50's(shallow dark)....

Carry over weed growth from last season is greening up on some lakes...this will be key for walleyes for opener....No, there aren't "new" weeds popping up yet...those are carry over growth from last year..with a month of sun beating on them, they have "re-greened".

While out perch and crappie fishing, we have caught some accidental walleyes, and have found anything from males milking to complete empty, and females that have dumped to rock hard yet...

I would look to weeds in 4 to 8 feet of water and downed wood along wind blow shorelines....

Crappies are on weed edges, and on sunny flat days, hanging around logs and trees soaking up the warmth....they are still along way from spawn....and really, who cares what they are doing, as long as they are active, right? Just remember to practice selective harvest....I've already heard reports of over bagging and multiple day limits being taking by the fish mongers....makes me sick...

Pike will be in the weeds too....

Weedless jigs such as the Baitrigs Weedmaster Slow poke are great for working around wood and in the vegetation....

Fatheads, Redtails, and my favorite(Rainbow Dace) will be my minnows of choice.

Good Luck!
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

Rob:

It is always tough to watch the fish mongers either at work or someplace where they are bragging. For those who would like to help Rob protect the environment the WDNR Hotline number is on my cell phone and I use it once or twice a year while I am out on the water. Put 1-800-847-9367 in your cell phone and feel good about helping to stop poaching!!!

Mark

Ah yes the fish mongers. I know a few of them well. Every one of them seems to possess the same character traits. They can usually be found down at the local watering hole bragging about thier angling prowess. After a few PBR's they will let the entire bar know over and over again how well they did on their favorite lake this afternoon. These folks usually camouflage their over harvesting with phrases like "we just couldn't keep them out of the boat" or "I have more fish in the freezer than I know what to do with". When the fishing goes south these people can also been observed at said watering hole b!tching about how bad the fishing has become on their favorite lake. The finger is usually pointed in the direction of those "damned muskies" eating all of their Walleyes, perch or whatever they happen to be poaching for. The thought never crosses their minds that it may be their over harvesting ways that has made the fishing so poor. It's much easier to blame others I guess.