www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: White Bass

Default White Bass

The white bass were going pretty good on the St. Croix this weekend just above Stillwater. I've not targeted them before so I don't have much to compare it to but it was a lot of fun. Most of them seemed to be close to shorelines with gradual slopes, just on the edge of the drop-off to the main channel. Small rattle baits were the best. Any jig and grub combo was getting eaten by smallies so we stayed with the rattletraps to target whities. I've heard topwaters can be a blast for them but didn't try it.

Was out for a few hours Saturday AM and mother nature didn't make it easy on us - a 30 degree cooldown can be tough. That said, we still eeked out a couple walleyes tossing jigs and grubs at current breaks along the shoreline. The action was fairly slow though and our hands got cold so we slapped the rods in holders and pulled crankbaits. We got a pike or two but missed a lot other fish.

Default Sturgeon

My brother and his boss fished just downriver from Stillwater and they did really well on white and crappies - jigs and grubs. They got a few sauger and pike on Taildancers. He topped the night with this 48" Sturgeon. First one of those that's been in our boat.